In need of renovation and restoration, this Tuscan Castle Estate for sale comprises a castle with a hamlet of ten farmhouses and 683 ha of land. Once developed it would make a superb hotel plus farmhouse accommodation.
Tuscan castle with hamlet, ten farmhouses and 683 ha of land
A few kilometres from Radicondoli on the hills of the Siena countryside the castle of Montingegnoli dominates its surroundings. The imposing estate covers over 680 hectares of land and has many buildings giving a total surface area of 15,500 sqm of livable space.
The restoration of the buildings could create a luxury boutique hotel (with approximately 90 bedrooms) and several additional residences nearby.
The hotel would also benefit from the vicinity of the most beautiful cities of Tuscany such as Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra and Pisa. Wine-lovers can also reach in roughly an hour and a half the famous winemaking towns of Montalcino and Montepulciano.
The most convenient airports are Florence (93km; 1h 15’), Pisa (118km; 1h 45’) and Rome (250km; 3h 20’).
The property is made up of a beautiful medieval hamlet of Montingegnoli with a castle nestled on top of a hill and ten farmhouses (San Vincenzo, San Andrea, San Gregorio, Podere, San Agresto, Fibiano, Monte, Tremoli, Barluzza, Prato) located in different spots inside the estate.
Dating back to the 12th century, the hamlet is currently abandoned and needs a thorough restoration. A restoration proposal envisaged the realization of a beautiful five-star hotel with approximately 90 bedrooms using the castle, the hamlet and five farmhouses (12,236 sqm in total). The hotel would also include a wellness centre, a gym, a sauna, a yoga centre, swimming pool, restaurants, bar, a gift shop, a conference hall for events and over a hundred car spots for the guests.
Five other farmhouses (3,164 sqm) can be restored and used as residential units (not necessarily linked to the above-mentioned hotel), each with its own private plot of land.
IMPORTANT NOTE: the church in the hamlet (which can be seen at the end of the photo gallery) is not included in the selling price but could be bought with a separate transaction and added to the property. This could become a nice opportunity, once restored, for wedding and events in the estate.
The castle was built in the early 12th century and in 1156 it was registered as a possession of the powerful Volterranean family Pannocchieschi d’Elci. With Siena’s capitulation in 1555, the castle was incorporated in the newborn Grand Duchy of Tuscany, while remaining a private possession of the Counts d’Elci.
Up until the mid-19th century, the hamlet of Montingegnoli was a small almost-self-sufficient town. The hamlet was however quickly declining and in 1833 it was inhabited by almost 200 people, less than a century later it was completely abandoned.
In the 1970s with the Economic Boom, the castle was used for events and celebrations but nowadays the building is totally abandoned.
The impressive estate covers a surface area of roughly 683.0 hectares, for the most part, covered in mixed woodland (450.0 ha). The remaining surface area is covered by arable land (233.0 ha) which could be used to plant a vineyard (several experts suggested a maximum surface of 25.0 ha) and an olive grove (5.0 ha).
- TYPE: Tuscan castle Estate with hamlet, ten farmhouses and 683 ha of land
- CONDITION: To be restored
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Radicondoli
- PROVINCE: Siena
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 15,400 square metres (165,704 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: Over 200
- BEDROOMS: Over 100
- BATHROOMS: Over 100
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, gardened courtyard with well, farmhouses to be restored, the possibility of planting a vineyard, crenellated tower, frescoed halls
- LAND: 683.0 hectares (450.0 ha mixed woodland + 233.0 ha arable land)
- GARDEN: Yes, in the castle’s courtyard
- ANNEXES: Ten farmhouses
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No, but possible
- ELECTRICITY: To be connected
- WATER SUPPLY: To be connected
- TELEPHONE: To be connected
- ADSL: Possible
- GAS: To be connected
- HEATING SYSTEM: To be connected
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Radicondoli (10km; 15’), Colle di Val d’Elsa (31km; 35’), Pienza (44km; 55’), San Gimignano (45km; 55’), Siena (45km; 50’), Follonica (54km; 55’), Montalcino (80km; 1h 25’), Florence (80km; 1h 20’), Montepulciano (107km; 1h 30’), Cortona (118km; 1h 35’), Pisa (122km; 2h)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Firenze Vespucci (93km; 1h 15’), Pisa Galilei (118km; 1h 45’), Bologna Marconi (175km; 2h), Roma Ciampino (289km; 3h 25’), Roma Fiumicino (239km; 2h 55’)
See more Castles for sale in Italy.
Other properties that may be of interest you
- Italian Castle for sale Italian castle and hamlet for sale in a superb central Italy location with views over Lake Trasimeno. When fully restored the property would be ideal for upmarket hotel use with…
- Tuscany Estate Tuscany estate for sale with lots of potential. 322 hectares land with vineyards, Olive groves, arable and woodland. Several farmhouses and various agricultural outbuildings and wine cellar. Chianti Vineyards Estate…
- Historical property Tuscany Historical property - Restored Castle and estate. History, location, great views, kerb appeal, renovated and restored and a very good price. Prestige home or could be used for holiday rentals, …