This Italy business for sale offers a superb opportunity comprising a large manor style villa property offering tourist accommodation, farmhouses and outbuildings, 98.0 hectares (242.2 acres) with vineyards, wine cellar, olive grove, lakes, gardens, pool. In Tuscany with views of both Cortona and Montepulciano. Further potential to expand vineyards, wine production and Tourist accommodation.
Tuscan Wine and Tourist Accommodation Business
This Italy business for sale is a Tuscany estate property which offers so much in its present form but has a lot of further potential to expand both the wine production and the number of bedrooms for tourist accommodation under the right ownership.
Near to Cortona and the border with Umbria the 98.0 hectares (242.2 acres) estate currently has a 28.4-ha vineyard with its own wine cellar producing 60,000 bottles of wine per year.
The residential section has a manor villa (9 bedrooms), the owner’s house (2 bedrooms) and several other buildings -offices, storage rooms…- partially restored and partially to be finished.
Quiet Tuscan countryside location but within easy reach of towns and amenities and facilities.
The main villa dates back to the 17th century built in the manorial style and has a surface area of 960 sqm – 10,330 sqft with 9 bedrooms and 10 bathrooms. The villa was divided to make nine guest units in 2014.
The bedrooms, based on their position inside the villa, enjoy far-reaching beautiful views over Montepulciano or Cortona.
– Unit A: living room with cooking corner, bedroom and bathroom (shower and tub);
– Unit B: double bedroom with sofa, desk and private bathroom (shower and tub);
– Unit C and D: large bedroom with a desk and private bathroom (shower and tub);
– Unit E, F, G and H: double bedroom with private bathroom (shower);
– Unit I: suite, kitchen, living room with private bathroom (shower);
The shared area for the guests includes the entrance hall with reception, a living room and a breakfast room equipped with a professional kitchen.
The owner’s house has a surface area of 206 sqm – 2,216 sqft on two floors comprising:
– Ground floor: living room, kitchen and bathroom;
– First floor: two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
The old lemon house has a surface area of 120 sqm – 1,291 sqft and is currently used as the offices for the business.
A large building with a surface area of 1,180 sqm – 12,697 sqft on three floors is currently in builder’s finish but could be completed to create further guest accommodation. The underground portion of the building extends below the garden and could easily work as a storage room and/or an extension of the cellar if needed.
Located a short distance from the main complex is the wine cellar with a surface area of 900 sqm – 9,684 sqft. Formerly an 18th-century farmhouse it has been restored and renovated and equipped with all the machinery needed for winemaking and ageing, all in a controlled-temperature environment.
The cellar is also used guided wine tours and wine tasting sessions.
This section is completed by a shed currently used as storage and shelter for vehicles and machinery.
A large ruined farmhouse (roughly 730 sqm – 7,855 sqft) could be recovered and restored to further expand the accommodation business.
The villa is surrounded by a well-maintained landscaped Italian garden with gravelled walkways and a beautiful panoramic swimming pool (17 × 7 m) with a pool house (80 sqm – 861 sqft) and a grass solarium all around. A few canopies offer a convenient covered space for vehicles.
The estate, in its entirety, covers a total surface area of roughly 98.0 hectares, a good part of which covered by vineyards (28.4 ha). It is important to note that less than half of these vineyards (11.3 ha) are currently exploited in wine production and the winery only produces approximately 60,000 bottles of wine per year.
With a theoretical maximum by using the whole vineyard this could be increased to roughly 150,000 bottles per year.
In the past, the winery also sold cask wine and grapes based on need and circumstances.
What’s more, between 2017 and 2018 it was decided to eradicate 20.2 ha of vines (bringing the potential maximum up to almost 50 hectares of vineyards). It is still possible to buy further rights and plant new vines since the soil is highly suitable for this.
The area is covered by either woodland (9.0 ha), arable land, olive grove (1.4 ha with Frantoio, Leccino and Correggiolo varieties), two lakes (roughly 1.0 ha in total) and the courtyards/gardens of the buildings (6.9 ha).
Access into the property, enjoying a beautiful view over Cortona and Montepulciano, is via a beautiful tree-lined avenue with cypresses (200 m).
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
– Vineyards surface: 28.4 hectares (11.3 ha productive + 17.1 ha non-productive)
– Varieties (11.3 ha): Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Vermentino, Sangiovese, Canaiolo
– Varieties (17.1 ha): Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Nero, Sauvignon Blanc, Syrah, Trebbiano, San Colombano, Malvasia
– Average altitude: 300 m asl
– Density of planting: 4,500 – 8,400 vines / ha
– Distance of planting: 1.40 × 1.40 m | 1.60 × 1.60 m | 2.80 × 1.40 m | 3.20 × 1.60 m
– Years of planting: 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009
– Training: pruned-spur cordon, Guyot
– Soil composition: sandy, clayish
– Average yield: 5.0 – 9.0 tons / ha
– Yearly production: roughly 60,000 bottles (up to 150,000 in full production)
– Workers: 2 open-ended contract + 1 fixed-term contract
– Cortona Syrah DOC “Tinia”: 100% Syrah (€ 12.00)
– SuperTuscan IGT “Curtun”: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot (€ 24.00)
– Toscana IGT “Lucius”: 100% Syrah (€ 24.00)
– Toscana IGT “Vulca”: 100% Merlot (€ 12.00)
– Toscana IGT “Vermentino”: 100% Vermentino (€ 20.00)
- TYPE: Italy business for sale. Wine estate with the main villa used for luxury tourist accommodation, farmhouse plus outbuildings, cellar with winemaking equipment, land, gardens, lakes and swimming pool.
- CONDITION: Restored
- POSITION: Open and sunny, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Cortona
- PROVINCIE: Arezzo
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 3,366 square metres (36,218 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 62+
- BEDROOMS: 11+
- BATHROOMS: 16+
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, terracotta floors, wooden beams, kitchen and bathrooms in travertine, stone fireplaces, tree-lined avenue, vineyards, equipped cellar, well-maintained garden, panoramic pool with a grass solarium
- LAND: 98.0 hectares (242.2 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well-maintained all around the buildings
- ANNEXES: Several residential and agricultural buildings
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: 17 × 7 m
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water + private well
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: LPG
- HEATING SYSTEM: Air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES Foiano della Chiana (13km; 20’), Cortona (16km; 20’), Tuoro sul Trasimeno (19km; 20’), Montepulciano (22km; 25’), Castiglion Fiorentino (24km; 30’), Chiusi (29km; 35’), Pienza (34km; 45’), Città della Pieve (41km; 45’), Perugia (51km;45’), Arezzo (52km; 45’), Montalcino (57km; 1h), Siena (62km; 55’), San Gimignano (103km; 1h 30’), Florence (114km; 1h 30’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (59km; 45’), Firenze Vespucci (126km; 1h 25’), Pisa Galilei (187km; 2h), Bologna Marconi (208km; 2h 15’), Roma Ciampino (209km; 2h 10’), Roma Fiumicino (224km; 2h 10’)