Tuscan lifestyle property in the province of Siena in the Val D’Orcia hills comprising a 301.8 hectare (745 acres) estate run as both an Agriturismo and a winery, with a yearly production of approximately 120,000 bottles of wine (possible for more). Unrestored outbuildings offer further potential.
Wine Estate for sale in Tuscany
The manor villa with a surface area of 1,735 sqm – 18,669 sqft has 7 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and has been finely preserved and restored, keeping original flooring and decorations: frescoed vaults in the ground floor halls, the large fireplace in the dining room, a beautiful boiserie inside the pool room at the first floor and beautiful paintings across all the bedrooms. In total, the villa offers seven bedrooms and four bathrooms (two of which are located midway through the staircases). The upper floor was the old dovecote and offers a beautiful 360-degree panoramic view.
The hamlet surrounding the villa (approximately 3,525 sqm – 37,929 sqft in total, some of which needs to be to be partially restored) houses the owner’s residence (3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms), the Agriturismo (8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms), the business offices, the wine cellar with processing and aging rooms, a manorial chapel, the old orangery, several agricultural annexes (storage houses, workshops and warehouses) and a large hall (200 seats) which could be used as a restaurant (or breakfast room) or as a room for events and/or ceremonies.
A little bit farther from the main hamlet are located two more poderi to be restored and/or rebuilt.
The first one is made up of the ruins of two buildings, once working as a brick factory. The volumes of the two buildings (roughly 600 cu.m in total) can be used to build new structures.
The second one is an old rural podere with a breeding farm (2,420 sqm – 26,039 sqft, no longer working) which houses a large stable, rooms for meat processing, the old offices and what was once the staff residence.
The estate covers a total area of 301.8 hectares. This land comprises Orcia DOC vineyards (16.4 ha – 40.5 ac), olive grove (0.4 ha – 1.0 ac), mixed woodland (45.9 ha – 113.4 ac) and arable/grazing land (235.3 ha – 581.4 ac). The remaining 3.8 ha (9.4 ac) constitutes aprons, gardens and unused agricultural land.
The vineyards, planted roughly ten years ago with mainly Sangiovese vines, are registered as Orcia DOC: this means that harvested grapes can be used to produce Orcia DOC or Toscana Rosso IGT wines. In case one decided to produce only one of the two wines, the maximum production is calculated below (these numbers do not take into account external factors such as bad weather or natural disasters which could eventually compromise the production):
– For Orcia DOC the production guidelines allow harvesting up to 8 tons of grapes per hectare, with a maximum wine yield of 70%. This means that, in a particularly good season, the estate could produce up to 120,000 bottles of wine per year (16.4 ha × 8 tons/ha × 70 % = 920 hl of wine).
– For Toscana Rosso IGT the production guidelines allow harvesting up to 16 tons of grapes per hectare, with a maximum wine yield of 80%. This means that, in a particularly good season, the estate could produce up to 280,000 bottles of wine (16.4 ha × 16 tons/ha × 80 % = 2,100 hl of wine).
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
– Vineyards: 16.4 hectares (Orcia DOC)
– Varieties: Sangiovese, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon
– Altitude: 360 – 400 m
– Exposure: South / West
– Density: 5,500 vines/ha
– Training system: pruned-spur cordon
– Soil composition: clayish, medium texture with travertine skeleton
– Yearly production: 120,000 bottles (up to 280,000 producing IGT wine only)
– Orcia Rosso DOC (100,000 bottles): 80% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
– Toscana Rosso IGT (20,000 bottles): 100% Sangiovese
The property and businesses are well established but still offer lots of potential especially for a hands-on operator who is looking for both a lifestyle property and an excellent investment.
- TYPE Tuscan Lifestyle Property – 301.8-ha wine estate with manor villa, business headquarters, wine cellar, Agriturismo, other poderi and Orcia DOC vineyards
- CONDITION Partially restored
- LOCATION Hilly, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY Trequanda
- PROVINCE Siena
- REGION Tuscany
- SIZE 7,680 sqm (82,637 sqft)
- BEDROOMS 18+
- BATHROOMS 14+
- FEATURES Stone walls, wooden beams, vaulted ceilings, terracotta floors, boiseries, stone fireplaces, frescoed ceilings, wine cellar, manorial chapel, Orcia DOC vineyards, event hall, swimming pool
- LAND 301.8 hectares (16.4 ha vineyards + 0.4 ha olive grove + 45.9 ha woodland + 235.3 ha arable land + 3.8 ha unused land, aprons and gardens)
- GARDEN Yes, well-maintained
- ANNEX Several agricultural and residential buildings
- ACCESS Excellent
- POOL 14 × 6 m
- ELECTRICITY Already connected
- WATER Mains water + private well
- GAS LPG
- HEATING Radiators
- TELEPHONE Already connected + ADSL
- NEAREST TOWNS Trequanda (5km; 10’), San Giovanni d’Asso (12km; 20’), Pienza (23km; 35’), Montalcino (30km; 40’), Siena (36km; 50’), Cortona (45km; 50’), Tuoro sul Trasimeno (48km; 45’), Passignano sul Trasimeno (51km; 45’), Perugia (80km; 1h 5’), San Gimignano (84km; 1h 30’), Volterra (90km; 1h 40’), Orvieto (95km; 1h 15’), Florence (114km; 1h 30’), Follonica (127km; 1h 50’), Punta Ala (128km; 2h 5’)
- NEAREST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (88km; 1h 10’), Grosseto Baccarini (101km; 1h 35’), Firenze Vespucci (134km; 1h 30’), Pisa Galilei (195km; 2h 15’), Bologna Marconi (215km; 2h 20’), Roma Ciampino (217km; 2h 30’), Roma Fiumicino (231km; 2h 20’)
See more Wine estates for sale