Stunning rural home near to Città di Castello. Privacy and breathtaking views. Restored countryside farmhouse and church, 8.4 hectares (20.8 acres) land, garden and pool. 5 Beds, 3 Baths.
Rural restored property with church and breathtaking views
On the top of a hill, enjoying magnificent views and privacy is this 5 bedroomed property which has been superbly restored incorporating a 13th century church and offering 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms gardens pool and land. Adjacent to both church land a national park ensures the privacy but it is only 20 mins from the city of Città di Castello and many major touristdestinations in both Umbria and Tuscany.
Typically for this countryside area, the farmhouse started as a barn and home where the lower floor was used as a shelter for animals (mainly pigs and cows), whilst the farmer usually lived on the upper floor. This is why many farmhouses still have an external staircase to reach the first floor as the internal one is usually a later addition, added when the buildings were fully converted into homes.
This farmhouse has been masterfully restored, finely preserving its main features. The church, a unique building with impressive stone vaults which predates the farmhouse, has been included as part of the home and converted into a double volume dining/living room but still bears the traces of its past as a countryside place of worship (whose existence is noted in ecclesiastical records using the name San Pietro al Col di Sole). The rest of the house has typical charachteristics and features such as stone walls, old terracotta floors and wooden beams. The former kitchen on the upper floor has been converted into a beautiful master suite with fireplace. Parts of the property on the inside seem to suggest the building could have been a watchtower (or part of it) in the past, especially relevent when you consider the positioning of the house, which has a complete view over the surrounding land, the number one requisite for defensive buildings.
The farmhouse has a surface area of 255 sqm – 2,744 sqft with 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms was built around a 13th-century church and is structured over two floors organized as follows:
– Ground floor: kitchen, large dining/living room inside the old church, two bedrooms and a bathroom. With a separate access there is also a a technical room/workshop. The rooms on this floor have direct and independent access from outside, a characteristic which allows in summer easy indoor/outdoor access and enjoyment of the home.
– First floor: three double bedrooms (one of which is a large master suite with fireplace) and two bathrooms. The floor can be reached via two staircases, one inside the building the other outside. Above the technical room there is a studio reached via an external staircase.
Not far from the farmhouse is a storage shed, ideal to keep the tools and machinery used to maintain the garden and the surrounding land.
The house is set on top of a ridge and offers which gives privacy and a breathtaking view over the surrounding hills and valleys. The building follows the North-South direction, so the two long sides of the house are exposed respectively East and West.
The façade to the east hass a nice pergola covered in grape vines (just outside the kitchen), where one can sit in the morning and enjoy the sunrise while enjoying breakfast. Conversely, the west-facing façade has a table and chairs beneath the external staircase where you can enjoy the sunset.
Heading south from the farmhousethere is a carefully maintained drought-resistant garden, designed by the internationally renowned Don Leevers and his colleague Alessandro Tombelli, with hedges and gravelled walkways, filled with roses and other flowering plants, all with irrigation. A long pergola leads from the farmhouse to the pool area, where the panoramic 14 × 4 m swimming pool lies, surrounded by a paved solarium. The property has a number of fruit trees including cherry, apple and fig.
This rural home stands in a total of 8.4 hectares of land (20.8 acres) covered in woodland and part registered as arable/grazing land. The land is surrounded by land owned by the church and by a regional park, providing and ensuring privacy.
The owners have loved, cherished, maintained and lived in this rural home for many years and the new owners will be buying a ready to move into property.
Alternatively, given its location, size and amenities it would make a stunning holiday rental property.
- TYPE Rural home. Finely restored farmhouse property with church and breathtaking views over the surrounding Umbrian countryside
- CONDITION Finely restored
- LOCATION Hilly, very panoramic with views both East and West
- MUNICIPALITY Città di Castello
- PROVINCE Perugia
- REGION Umbria
- SIZE 255 sqm (2,744 sqft)
- BEDROOMS 5
- BATHROOMS 3
- FEATURES Stone walls, old terracotta floors, stone fireplaces, wooden beams with terracotta tiles, pergola with vines, Italian garden, swimming pool with paved solarium, loggia, cypress-lined graveled access road, excellent privacy, panoramic view over the hills, breathtaking sunset and dawn
- LAND 8.4 hectares (20.8 acres)
- GARDEN Yes, well-maintained
- ANNEX Storage house
- ACCESS Cypress-lined graveled road (1 km)
- POOL 14 × 4 m saltwater, heated with automatic cover
- ELECTRICITY Already connected
- WATER Private wells + natural spring
- GAS LPG
- HEATING Central heating
- TELEPHONE Already connected (2 lines)
- NEAREST TOWNS Città di Castello (13km; 20’), Umbertide (29km; 30’), Sansepolcro (32km; 30’), Gubbio (37km; 50’), Anghiari (39km; 40’), Passignano sul Trasimeno (56km; 1h 5’), Cortona (59km; 1h 10’), Perugia (65km; 55’), Urbino (65km; 1h 30’), Assisi (75km; 1h), Bevagna (82km; 1h 10’), San Marino (99km; 2h), Todi (101km; 1h 20’)
- NEAREST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (58km; 50’), Ancona Raffaello Sanzio (134km; 1h 55’), Firenze Peretola (145km; 2h), Pisa Galilei (206km; 2h 45’), Bologna Marconi (207km; 2h 20’), Roma Ciampino (239km; 3h), Roma Fiumicino (254km; 2h 50’)
See more Country homes for sale