Surprisingly spacious Florence villa which is part of a 15th-century villa. Restored with great care and attention to detail characterized by frescoes and elegant finishes. 5 Bedrooms, gym, gardens, pool, 17th-century fountain.
Luxury Florence Villa Property
In the upscale neighbourhood of Poggio Imperiale, close to the Villa Medicea and approximately 4 kilometres from the International School of Florence, is this portion of a restored historic villa with a swimming pool for sale. The 460-square-metre property has five bedrooms, a private gym, and expansive living areas with original furnishings and frescoes. Outside, the 880-square-metre garden contains a 10-by-4-metre swimming pool and a 17th-century fountain designed by architect Bernardo Buontalenti.
All services are available in close proximity (1 km; 2 minutes by car), and the historic centre of Florence is readily accessible from Porta Romana (2 km; 5 minutes). Leaving Florence, many of Tuscany’s historic villages (San Casciano in Val di Pesa, Castellina in Chianti, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, Siena…) are within an hour’s drive (San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, Siena…). Additionally, the sea (Viareggio, Forte dei Marmi) is within an hour’s journey.
The building (460 square metres) is part of a larger villa, of which it occupies approximately half the volume. The structure was constructed as a convent during the 15th century. Over the centuries, the villa’s religious function was replaced by a residential one, and it was subsequently subdivided into several units. The restoration of the building has made it possible to retain the majority of its original features, including the magnificent vaulted ceilings, stone fireplaces, and frescoes, which have been preserved and, where necessary, restored, drawing inspiration from the outdoor fountain of Buontalenti.
On entering the ground floor, there is a spacious living area with three very light rooms. The service restroom and the laundry room are located at one end. In contrast, on the opposing side of the building are the stairwell (with storage room and lift), the kitchen with pantry and the dining room with access to the garden.
By descending the staircase, one enters the villa’s former cellars, which have been transformed into a private gym/fitness area with a guest bedroom and en suite toilet. The subterranean rooms feature exposed masonry vaults that identify the rooms’ original function as cellars and storage spaces.
On the other hand, midway up the stairs from the ground floor is a bedroom with an attached bathroom. The first level of the building is distinguished by its stately and elegant rooms. One side of the hallway (which is also accessible by lift) provides access to a bedroom with a private toilet and walk-in closet, while the other side provides access to a living room with a fireplace. From here, one enters a hallway (with two large built-in wardrobes) that leads to the master bedroom, which features a large en-suite bathroom and a walk-in closet. A staircase leads from the living room to the attic, where the final bedroom, bathroom and walk-in wardrobe are located.
The villa’s walled and extremely private garden (880 sqm) still contains the fountain designed by architect Bernardo Buontalenti in the 1680s, which was inspired by ancient Roman nymphaea and flanked by two marble statues. The masterpiece is situated on the border of the 10 4-meter swimming pool, which is paved with dark stone and surrounded by a solarium made of cool white stone. On the paved terrace leading to the pool at the building’s exit is a pergola with a large table, a summer kitchen and a barbecue area.
In the well-kept garden, which is crisscrossed by stone pathways, there is also a large Catalpa plant whose colours change with the seasons.
The remaining portion of the property (1,661 square metres or 17,872 square feet), which is also enclosed by a wall and secured by an automatic gate, consists of a large lawn with two parking areas (one at the entrance and one near the garden) connected by an unpaved driveway. The back of the lawn is enclosed by a hedge that provides security and seclusion and is planted with flowering shrubbery.
Next to the parking lot is a ping-pong table, and nearby is a shady bocce court where summer games can be played.
- TYPE: Large section of a 15th-century villa
- CONDITION: Restored, luxury finishes
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic
- ACCESS: Excellent, paved road
- MUNICIPALITY: Florence
- PROVINCE: Florence
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 460 square metres (4,950 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 17
- BEDROOMS: 5
- BATHROOMS: 6
- ANNEXES: No
- MAIN FEATURES: stone and brick walls, vaulted ceilings, coffered ceilings, wooden beams, original stone fireplaces, pietra serena frames, elevator, in-house fitness area, automated gate, car park with charging stations for electric vehicles, bocce court, walled garden, swimming pool, pergola, barbecue area
- LAND: 2,546 square metres (0.6 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well maintained
- SWIMMING POOL: 10 × 4 m
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Natural gas
- HEATING SYSTEM: Underfloor + air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Closest services (1km; 2’), historic Florence city centre (2km; 5’), Bagno a Ripoli (13km; 20’), San Casciano in Val di Pesa (21km; 25’), Greve in Chianti (26km; 35’), Castellina in Chianti (39km; 40’), San Gimignano (52km; 50’), Monteriggioni (54km; 45’), Siena (70km; 1h), Arezzo (78km; 1h), Pisa (85km; 1h 15’), Lucca (87km; 1h 10’), Viareggio (107km; 1h 20’), Montalcino (108km; 1h 30’), Montepulciano (111km; 1h 25’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Firenze A. Vespucci (13km; 20’), Pisa G. Galilei (82km; 1h 5’), Bologna G. Marconi (109km; 1h 15’), Grosseto Baccarini (140km; 1h 45’), Perugia San Francesco (162km; 1h 55’), Roma Ciampino (289km; 3h), Roma Fiumicino (303km; 3h)
See more Villas in Tuscany for sale