A unique sea view property in Tuscany comprising a restored 16th-century watchtower converted into a luxury 4 bedroom villa home. 30 hectares land. Private access to the sea.
Restored 16th-century watchtower. Sea Views and access
Unique property on the Argentario cliffs near Talamone e Orbetello. The property comprises a 16th-century watchtower, expertly restored and converted into a luxury villa home. The villa has a total of 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms with beautiful outdoor spaces and terraces with a breathtaking view of the sea. A stone staircase leads directly down to the sea from the garden. The property stands in a total of 30.0 hectares (74.1 acres) land
Services are all available in the nearby town of Talamone (5km; 15’) but from the property, it is very easy to drive to and around the many historic towns and cities of Tuscany (Orbetello, Porto Santo Stefano, Grosseto, Terme di Saturnia, Siena, Montalcino…). In just over two hours you can also reach the beautiful and unrivalled city of Rome (173km; 2h 20’).
The closest airport is Grosseto (34km; 45’) but the terminals in Rome (2h), Pisa and Florence are just as convenient.
The watchtower has a surface area of 350 sqm – 3,766 sqft with4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms onthree floors plus a beautiful rooftop panoramic terrace:
– Ground floor: Large living room with original fireplace, hallway, kitchen with dining area, bedroom with en-suite bathroom, two double bedrooms and bathroom;
– First floor: living room with sea view; from here one can exit out onto a beautiful panoramic terrace (roughly 200 sqm) with a view over the Tuscan archipelago;
– Second floor: master bedroom with en-suite bathroom and walk-in closet;
– Third floor: terrace with a breathtaking view.
The tower has been recently restored and converted into a beautiful luxury home with beautiful finishes mixing the typical features of 16th-century fortifications with modern services and comforts. Vaulted ceilings and wooden elements have been successfully preserved where possible, while in other areas high-quality materials have been used to preserve the charm of the building. Among the most beautiful features, we must mention the stone glacis (needed to survive naval artillery), the vaulted rooms on the lower floors (used in the past as storage rooms and cisterns) and the beautiful 18th-century original wooden staircase leading to the upper floors.
In the long war between Siena and Florence, the latter was supported by the Spanish crown, which had great interests in Italy. With the Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis in 1557, all the domains of the Republic of Siena were split among the victors and Spain was given control of a coastal region (known as State of the Presidi, Estado de los Reales Presidios in Spanish) which included territories from the Argentario up to the now-called Talamone, also including a portion of Elba Island (Porto Azzurro).
The tower can be dated with a good approximation to 1565: the Spaniards exploited the strategic location of the State of the Presidi to establish control over Central Italy and for this purpose they built a series of fortified towers to protect the maritime routes leading from Naples to Genoa along the Tyrrhenian coast.
In 1783 the tower was in less-than-optimal structural condition and a few works were done: the wooden staircase leading to the first floor dates back to this period. In 1806, after the annexation to the Kingdom of Etruria, a survey was carried out to establish if the tower could still be used as a coastal artillery battery but the building was in such a bad the shape that it was deemed unfeasible.
The tower is located on top of the cliff, with an incredible view over the underlying sea. The estate covers a total surface area of roughly 30.0 hectares (74.1 acres) where a large forest gives excellent privacy. Wooden pergolas offer pleasant shaded places to relax.
A stone staircase (roughly 50 steps) leads directly to the sea through the rocky cliff. A beautiful rocky beach is located just 500 m from the villa and is easily reached on foot.
Exteriors have already been deemed suitable for the realization of a swimming pool with solarium and a private helipad for even quicker access to the property.
The villa, given its beautiful location and excellent privacy, is regularly rented out to tourists and vacationers looking for peace and tranquillity in a luxury property in a real paradise on the Tuscan coastline.
- TYPE: Sea view property – Restored 16th-century watchtower on the cliffs with sea views and access
- CONDITION: Restored
- LOCATION: Right above the sea
- MUNICIPALITY: Talamone
- PROVINCE: Grosseto
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 350 square metres (3,766 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 9
- BEDROOMS: 4
- BATHROOMS: 3
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls with glacis, paved courtyard, stone-vaulted, wooden beams, terracotta floors, sea view terraces, original fireplaces, staircase leading down to the seaside, possibility of building a helipad and a pool
- LAND: 30.0 hectares (74.1 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well-maintained on the terraces
- ANNEXES: No
- ACCESS: Well-maintained unpaved road
- SWIMMING POOL: No, but possible
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Talamone (5km; 15’), Orbetello (27km; 40’), Porto Santo Stefano (28km; 45’), Grosseto (32km; 45’), Castiglione della Pescaia (52km; 1h), Terme di Saturnia (62km; 1h 15’), Tarquinia (74km; 1h 10’), Montalcino (86km; 1h 25’), Siena (106km; 1h 30’), Roma (173km; 2h 20’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Grosseto Baccarini (34km; 45’), Roma Fiumicino (153km; 1h 55’), Roma Ciampino (173km; 2h 10’), Firenze Peretola (187km; 2h 25’), Pisa Galilei (187km; 2h 15’), Perugia San Francesco (213km; 2h 40’)
See more Castles for sale in Italy
See more Italian properties with sea views
Other properties that may be of interest you
- Luxurious, spacious WOW factor property This Tuscan property certainly has the WOW factor. A large spacious and luxurious villa with beautiful sea views and breathtaking sunset panoramas. 6 Beds, 6 Baths, swimming pool and gardens.…
- Campania Italy Property Campania Italy property for sale comprising a Luxury villa with sea views and access. 6 Bedrooms, gardens, infinity pool, private parking. Home or holiday and rentals use. Amalfi Coast Luxury…
- Amalfi Coast Villa This large Amalfi coast seaside villa will be of interest to developers, investors or individuals looking for a project offering an investment opportunity. Perched on a cliff overlooking the sea…