Old monastery for sale which has been part restored. Located in the province of Frosinone (just over an hour from Rome), once fully restored it would be ideal as a boutique hotel in addition to hosting events, conferences and ceremonies.
14th-century Medieval monastery near to Rome
Located in the province of Frosinone in a very panoramic position at the border of a medieval hamlet is this 14th-century medieval stone monastery. The property has a surface area of about 1,000 sqm, is part restored and is mainly used as a venue for events, but with some further restoration work, the whole structure could be converted into a boutique hotel with 10+ bedrooms.
The medieval hamlet offers all the necessary services (supermarkets, pharmacies, post office) and allows you can easily reach several towns and cities of Lazio, both towards the hinterland and towards the sea (Frosinone, Cassino, Terracina, Sperlonga, Formia, San Felice Circeo, Rome…). Even Naples is less than two hours away.
The closest airports are Rome Ciampino and Fiumicino (1h 10’), but Naples can easily be reached in roughly 1h 30’.
The monastery has a surface area of roughly 1,000 sqm in total adjacent to St. Francis’s Church, which is no longer consecrated and is owned by the municipality. The church is covered in beautiful frescoes from different centuries and is nowadays an art gallery and museum.
The monastery itself encloses the beautiful central cloister and has several halls which are ideal for events, 10 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms. Restoring the remaining portion of the building would give more bedrooms, increasing the hosting capability of the complex.
The monastery was built in 1337 by the Franciscan monks on a plot of land donated to the friars by several noblemen of the town. The Franciscan order kept the monastery until 1927 when the property was ultimately abandoned and then passed into private hands. The church was then transferred by the owners to the municipality in the 1970s.
The building has been part restored and still boasts all the typical features and characteristics normally found in medieval religious properties such as original terracotta floors, wooden beams, coffered ceilings, stone fireplaces. The finishes have been very carefully preserved and, where needed, original material has been used as a replacement. The large halls are covered with beautiful coffered ceilings, while the floors are tiled with terracotta bricks, also original.
Those rooms which are still in need of restoration have been left in their original state: this ensures the finishes are still present and visible and only need to be cleaned and recovered to bring the building back to its original splendour.
The entryway to the monastery is highlighted by a vaulted archway bearing the emblem of the Friars Minor. Proceeding inside one ends up in the unique portico encircling the cloister and through a series of rooms, you reach the panoramic terraced garden located on the other side of the building.
The external walls are made out of stone and double as ramparts for the medieval town and the monastery itself was built right one of the doors which grant access to the city. A watchtower, nowadays embedded in the monastery, is visible to the left of the doorway.
The monastery boasts a beautiful internal cloister, nowadays decorated with an Italian garden (150 sqm) and surrounded by a beautiful covered loggia with vaulted ceilings. Below the garden, there is an original cistern to collect rainwater which has been recently restored.
Outside on both sides, the monastery has two more panoramic gardens. The first and largest of the two (1,300 sqm) is located to the left of the building and is a landscaped Italian garden, well-maintained and crossed by paved walkways. This garden is the perfect frame for outdoor events, such as weddings and conferences. A small shed (15 sqm) is used as a storage room.
The second garden (300 sqm), reached via a hallway located above the entrance archway to the medieval town, is smaller and is landscaped as a shaded garden, an ideal to relax and contemplate.
The monastery, thanks to its large halls and the beautiful decorations, is occasionally used as a location for events and ceremonies. The complete restoration of the monastery complex would enable you to convert it into a boutique hotel, in addition to hosting events, conferences and ceremonies.
- TYPE: 14th-century Medieval monastery
- CONDITIONS: Part restored
- LOCATION: Historic centre, very panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Frosinone
- PROVINCE: Frosinone
- REGION: Lazio
- INTERIORS: 1,000 square metres (10,760 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 20+
- BEDROOMS: 10+
- BATHROOMS: 8+
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, original terracotta floors, wooden beams, mouldings, coffered ceilings, the cloister with columned walkways, Italian garden, panoramic park
- LAND: 1,600 square metres (0.4 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well-maintained
- ANNEXES: Storage room
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Fireplaces
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Frosinone (17km; 20’), Sora (21km; 25’), Cassino (52km; 50’), Terracina (65km; 1h), Sperlonga (67km; 1h 20’), Latina (70km; 1h 15’), Formia (71km; 1h 20’), San Felice Circeo (77km; 1h 20’), Rome (105km; 1h 15’), L’Aquila (118km; 1h 40’), Naples (142km; 1h 40’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Roma Ciampino (94km; 1h), Roma Fiumicino (120km; 1h 20’), Napoli Capodichino (136km; 1h 30’)
Other properties that may be of interest you
- Tuscan Castle Estate In need of renovation and restoration, this Tuscan Castle Estate for sale comprises a castle with a hamlet of ten farmhouses and 683 ha of land. Once developed it would…
- Hotel Real Estate Italy Looking to buy Hotel real estate in Italy? This upmarket boutique hotel in Piedmont could be ideal. Fully restored, the property has 17 guest bedrooms, restaurant, swimming pool, an Orangerie…
- Country Estate Country Estate in Italy, located near the Umbria Tuscany border. Two farmhouses and a medieval tower currently a boutique hotel with owners accommodation. Land, Olive grove, swimming pool. Boutique Hotel…