Luxury Italian hotel for sale close to the medieval Tuscan town of San Gimignano, in an extremely panoramic countryside position, a former medieval convent which has been converted into a luxury 20 bedroomed boutique hotel (3,178 sqm).
San Gimignano Tuscany Hotel Property
On the Tuscan hills of the Sienese countryside, a short drive from the medieval town of San Gimignano, a splendid medieval property which has been converted into a luxury 20 bedroomed boutique hotel with an Italian garden and fully equipped swimming pool.
The hotel, currently fully trading, is located just 10 minutes drive from San Gimignano in an extremely convenient position that allows you to move easily throughout Tuscany and its most beautiful cities, towns and villages and provides, therefore, an excellent base for tourists.
The master villa (1,820 sqm – 19,583 sqft, 16 bedrooms and 26 bathrooms) is the result of the restoration of the former convent transforming it into an upmarket boutique hotel.
On the ground floor are the common rooms of the including three large dining rooms (one of which was formerly the church of the complex, now deconsecrated) with professional kitchen, the hotel lobby with reception, an office and several toilets.
Going up to the first floor we find the guest accommodation section with 15 bedrooms, all equipped with en-suite bathroom.
Finally, the tower houses a magnificent suite with a bathroom and a relaxation area with a whirlpool bath.
At the centre of the building, there is a wonderful arcaded cloister and, in the middle of this, a well.
Just below and accessible from inside the hotel is the cellar of the complex, formerly an ancient water cistern.
Outside this Italian hotel, there is also a breakfast room (66 sqm – 710 sqft) reserved for the guests of the hotel.
The guesthouse (188 sqm – 2,023 sqft, 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms) is laid out over two floors as follows:
– Ground floor: two bedrooms and two bathrooms;
– First floor: two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Below the annexe and the hotel, there are several underground rooms (for a total of 1,104 sqm – 11,879 sqft) that include tool storage, refrigerating room for food, a gym equipped with changing rooms and showers, a room for loading/unloading goods and toilets for the employees of the hotel.
The main building, whose shape betrays the religious origins of the complex, was erected in the last twenty years of the 16th century as a gift of the population to the monks who had helped the country in times of crisis. The convent was ultimately consecrated at the end of the century (1598–1599). With the arrival of the French army at the end of the 18th century, the convent was abandoned until the 20th century when the property was finally bought by a noble and influential Florentine family.
The structure is in excellent condition: the renovation was carried out with great skill and care, retaining and reusing only original materials such as columns, stone frames and jambs. The chapel (with its sacristy) is no longer consecrated and has recently been stylishly transformed into a splendid restaurant.
The tower, a prominent element of the property, now houses a beautiful suite with bathroom and whirlpool. From the windows, you have a direct view of the famous towers of San Gimignano.
The villa is set in a well-kept park of 2.5 hectares, entirely surrounded by a stone wall. The Italian garden of the complex was designed by a student of the famous Italian landscape architect Pietro Porcinai. Moving away from the buildings we find an English style park dotted with cypress and oak trees and the swimming pool of the complex (16 x 6 m) which is equipped with solarium and bar area.
The complex which is of considerable historical and architectural value is currently used as an upmarket Italian Hotel.
The beautiful geographical location, close to the most visited cities in Tuscany, also contributes to making this Italian hotel complex particularly attractive as tourist accommodation.
The property would also be suitable to reconvert into a superb luxury private residence.
- TYPE Former convent converted into a 20 bedroomed luxury boutique hotel
- CONDITION Restored, luxury finishes
- LOCATION Hillside, panoramic view on San Gimignano
- MUNICIPALITY San Gimignano
- PROVINCE Siena
- REGION Tuscany
- SIZE 3,178 sqm (34,195 sqft)
- ROOMS 50+
- BEDROOMS 20
- BATHROOMS 35
- FEATURES Stone walls, Italian garden, park, pool, gym, panoramic view, church, decorated stone fireplaces, terracotta floors, portico, cloister, mouldings, marble floors, coffered ceilings, rib vaults, balconies, terraces
- LAND 2.5 hectares
- GARDEN Yes, well-maintained and originally designed by an apprentice of the famous Italian landscape gardener Porcinai
- ANNEX Several technical rooms, breakfast room, guesthouse
- ACCESS Excellent
- POOL 16 x 6 m
- ELECTRICITY Already connected
- WATER Mains water
- GAS Already connected
- HEATING Already connected + air conditioning
- TELEPHONE Already connected + ADSL
- NEAREST TOWNS San Gimignano (3km; 10’), Monteriggioni (27km; 40’), Volterra (29km; 35’), San Casciano in Val di Pesa (41km; 40’), Siena (49km; 55’), Florence (60km; 1h 15’), Pisa (75km; 1h 20’), Lucca (81km; 1h 35’), Montepulciano (103km; 1h 35’), Grosseto (113km; 1h 40’), Follonica (121km; 1h 50’)
- NEAREST AIRPORTS Firenze Peretola (70km; 1h 5’), Pisa Galilei (72km; 1h 5’), Bologna Marconi (151km; 1h 55’), Perugia Sant’Egidio (157km; 2h 5’), Roma Ciampino (285km; 3h 10’), Roma Fiumicino (300km; 3h 15’), Milano Linate (348km; 3h 35’), Milano Malpensa (401km; 4h 10’)
See more Hotels for sale in Italy