Luxury home and estate for sale comprising a prestigious Tuscan villa formerly the home of Napoleon’s sister Pauline, set in beautiful gardens overlooking the city of Lucca with various buildings for a total of up to 26 bedrooms. The villa is in good condition, while the outbuildings need to be restored.
Prestige Home Lucca Tuscany
This prestigious estate borders the city of Lucca and is in an enviable but private location, close to shops, restaurants and services, with easy access to Tuscany’s historic cities and towns.
Ideal as a luxurious home it could also be partly or fully used for upmarket tourist accommodation.
The villa is in good condition, while some of the outbuildings are in need of renovation. The property is surrounded by well-kept gardens on which there is also the large 43 × 4 m swimming pool.
The mansion villa has a surface area of 1,1148 square metres with 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms and unfolds on three levels, accessible via secondary doors on the sides of the building or via the monumental stairways on both sides. At the centre of the main floor, there is a large frescoed reception room. A large library, formerly Pauline’s bedroom, opens to the west, while on the opposite side of the villa there is a second living room and dining room. Easily divisible into two independent residences, the villa currently has two kitchens, seven bedrooms and ten bathrooms.
The other buildings include the old lemon house, an annexe for guests and the caretaker’s house (for a total of 951 square meters, 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms). Some of the outbuildings need restoration/renovation before they can be used.
The villa already existed in the seventeenth century in the possession of the Buonvisi family (the coat of arms is still visible above the entrance). Passing from hand to hand, it was purchased in 1822 by Pauline Bonaparte who restored the building and added new decorations. With the restoration, the villa passed to the Boccella and Ruggero families, to the Counts Aubrey William Tealdi and finally to the current owners. The current appearance of the villa is that dating back to the mid-nineteenth century.
The manorial villa has a surface area of 1,148 sqm – 12,352 sqft on three floors, accessed via lateral doors on the sides of the building or via the monumental staircases on the two main façades.
– Basement: cellar and storage room;
– Ground floor: entrance with portico, two kitchens, large living room, dining room, five sitting rooms, several closets and three bathrooms;
– Mezzanine floor: bedroom with en-suite bathroom;
– First floor: four reception halls, five sitting rooms (potentially convertible into bedrooms), two bathrooms and two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom;
– Second floor: lofts.
Not far from the villa is the old lemon house (430 sqm – 4,627 sqft, 2 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms) laid over two floors:
– Basement: wardrobe, ironing room, laundry, pantry and bathroom;
– Ground floor: large living room, hall, kitchen, dining room, closet, bedroom with enò-suite bathroom, bedroom and two bathrooms.
Right next to the lemon house is a greenhouse (108 sqm – 1,162 sqft) made out of concrete and glass, ideal to shelter the plants during winter.
The old farmer’s house (440 sqm – 4,734 sqft, up to 13 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms) is laid over two floors as follows:
– Ground floor: entrance room, laundry, cellar and garage;
– Mezzanine floor: independent apartment made up of living room, kitchen, two bedrooms and a bathroom;
– First floor: eleven rooms and a bathroom (ideal to create many bedrooms for the guests).
Right next to the house is a ruined building (420 sqm – 4,519 sqft, once used as a stable for the animals and barn.
The keeper’s house (134 sqm – 1,442 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom) is laid over two floors:
– Ground floor: entrance room, kitchen and living room;
– First floor: three bedrooms and a bathroom.
The property is then completed by a tool shed (60 sqm – 646 sqft).
The splendid garden dates back to the Pauline period when she hired a well-known English landscape architect of the time: positioning the elements according to well-studied schemes created the illusion that the park appears much larger than it really is. In the past, a large cistern, still visible, was used for irrigation. The main gate opens onto a curved avenue that passes alongside the villa: in the representations of the Napoleonic era the driveway reached directly to the villa, therefore a subsequent modification must be assumed. The two Italian gardens date back to the Pauline period and are located respectively near the villa and the lemon house. The large basin behind the villa, now transformed into an impressive 43 × 4 m swimming pool, also dates back to the same period.
The estate with its unrivalled position overlooking the city of Lucca is ideal for anyone looking for a luxury private home or a luxury property in which to start a high-end accommodation business in one of the most beautiful cities in Italy. Furthermore, the presence of multiple buildings would allow the owners to keep living in a part of the property whilst renting the other spaces to guests.
- TYPE: Luxury home – Historic mansion villa and estate
- CONDITION: Habitable
- LOCATION: Hilly, just outside Lucca
- MUNICIPALITY: Lucca
- PROVINCE: Lucca
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 2740 square metres (29,482 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 50+
- BEDROOMS: up to 26
- BATHROOMS: 17
- MAIN FEATURES: Neoclassical façade, monumental staircase, checkered stone floors, parquet, geometric decorations, decorated doors, stone fireplaces, boiserie, wooden beams, mouldings, frescoes, gardens, swimming pool
- LAND: 9.5 hectares (23.5 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well maintained
- ANNEXES: lemon house, guesthouse, caretaker’s house
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: 43 × 4 m
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Convectors, air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Basic services (500 m; 2’), Lucca (2km; 5’), Pisa (21km; 30’), Viareggio (28km; 30’), Forte dei Marmi (38km; 35’), Pistoia (47km; 35’), Livorno (50km; 45’), Volterra (74km; 1h 30’), Florence (83km; 1h 15’), San Gimignano (127km; 1h 40’), Siena (145km; 1h 45’), Montepulciano (187km; 2h), Pienza (194km; 2h 20’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Pisa Galilei (38km; 30’), Firenze Vespucci (73km; 50’), Bologna Marconi (155km; 1h 45’), Genova Colombo (168km; 2h), Milano Linate (277km; 3h), Milano Malpensa (331km; 3h 35’), Roma Fiumicino (355km; 3h 45’), Roma Ciampino (364km; 3h 40’)
See more Luxury homes for sale in Italy