A lighthouse property for sale in Italy. Who wouldn’t want to live in a lighthouse converted into a luxury villa with sea views? Stylish 5 bedroomed 19th-century seaside home in Tuscany.
Luxury villa Porto Santo Stefano Tuscany Monte Argentario
A lot of people dream of living in a lighthouse. This property offers you the opportunity to live that dream in style and luxury.
Originally built by the the Italian Royal Navy in the second half of the 19th century as a control point on the Tuscan coast of Tuscany. In later years, the building was also fitted with a radio and telegraph station to give better communication with the mainland.
During World War II it was converted into a coastal artillery position with cannon and anti-aircraft guns. In 1943 the tower was already obsolete as a lighthouse and its functions were transferred to more modern buildings. In the same year, with the war not going well for Italy, the lighthouse was abandoned.
In 1959, the Italian government auctioned the lighthouse and it was bought by a private citizen with the idea of converting it into a luxury house. That project was never fulfilled and it was in 2010 – 2011 that the building that work was started on restoring this lighthouse property.
Taking around 5 years, the tower has been fully rebuilt in reinforced concrete following the modern anti-seismic rules and regulations. The outer walls have been filled with stone, which gives excellent thermal insulation, and the façades have been plastered as they would have been originally. The old road leading to the lighthouse was too narrow for modern vehicles and the owners enlarged it so that cars can now more reach the property.
The lighthouse tower is on the summit of a mountain, roughly 371 m above sea level and stands in 2.2 hectares of land (5.4 acres) which is entirely covered in gardens and paved terraces. Very panoramic with beautiful and incredible sea views and Giglio Island towards the horizon.
The paved terrace surrounding the villa is also ideal for al fresco dining and relaxation with friend and family in the pleasant summer climate.
The lighthouse has a surface area of 300 sqm – 3,228 sqft on three floors. Entering on the ground floor there is a large living area with an open-plan kitchen and a bathroom. Via a marble staircase with iron railings, you reach the first floor where there are four bedrooms and three bathrooms. Going further up the upper floor of the tower houses the master bedroom, its en-suite bathroom and a very nice panoramic terrace on the roof.
There is a small outbuilding outside and it would also be possible to build a helipad at the property.
Services are all available nearby in Porto Santo Stefano, with the closest airport being Grosseto (56km; 1h) but Rome, Florence, Pisa and Perugia airports are also equally convenient.
- TYPE: Converted 19th Century lighthouse now a luxury villa with great sea views
- CONDITION: Restored
- LOCATION: Sea view
- MUNICIPALITY: Porto Santo Stefano – Monte Argentario
- PROVINCE: Grosseto
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 300 square metres (3,228 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 8
- BEDROOMS: 5
- BATHROOMS: 5
- MAIN FEATURES: Plastered stone walls, marble staircase, wrought iron railings, windows with iron grating, panoramic terraces, 360-degree view, garden, the possibility of building a private helipad
- LAND: 2.2 hectares (5.4 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well-maintained on the terraces
- ANNEXES: Storage room
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators + air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Porto Santo Stefano (9km; 15’), Orbetello (20km; 25’), Porto Ercole (21km; 30’), Grosseto (55km; 1h), Saturnia (67km; 1h 20’), Castiglione della Pescaia (75km; 1h 20’), Follonica (102km; 1h 30’), Orvieto (123km; 2h 20’), Siena (128km; 1h 50’), Rome (162km; 2h 30’), Florence (196km; 2h 45’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Grosseto Baccarini (56km; 1h), Roma Fiumicino (154km; 2h), Roma Ciampino (173km; 2h 15’), Firenze Vespucci (209km; 2h 40’), Pisa Galilei (210km; 2h 30’), Perugia San Francesco (229km; 3h)
See more Sea View Properties
Italian property with air conditioning