Lovely large Historical luxury villa property with pool and gardens and guest house. Currently used as a Tuscan holiday home business but would also be ideal as a luxury private home.
Large Country House for Sale in Tuscany
Near to a town in the Arno valley ( Valdarno) region of Tuscany the origins of this lovely property date back to the early Middle Ages.
The location was chosen to build a watchtower, watching over and keeping the nearby village under control. It was in the 11th century that the tower was embedded inside a farmhouse owned by a powerful Ghibelline family. In 1230 the property is listed as belonging to the nearby abbey and was used as a post house for the pilgrims.
After the victorious battle of Campaldino (11 June 1289), Florence decided to fortify the Valdarno with the foundation of three castles (Castel San Giovanni, Castelfranco and Castel Santa Maria) which then became known as Terre murate (literally ‘walled lands’) del Valdarno and served a double purpose by limiting the authority of noble family, preventing riots and insurrections.
The town of Castel San Giovanni (nowadays named San Giovanni Valdarno) was built ex-novo in 1296 and took the current name only a few years later, after falling into Aretine hands.
Castelfranco (so called because it was francato, meaning ‘exempted’ from paying taxes) was founded three years later, in 1299, but underwent numerous changes over the years to the point that the city has almost completely lost its original look.
In 1337 the last town was founded, Castel Santa Maria. Almost immediately, its inhabitants started using the name Terra Nuova for their city and after a decade the name became official with the spelling Terranuova. In 1862 the name Bracciolini was added to the toponym to honour the famous humanist Giovanni Francesco Bracciolini, born in Terranuova in 1380. He was responsible for the discovery and publication of several Latin classics which were thought lost forever, such as the De Rerum Natura and the Institutio Oratoria.
During World War II, being really close to the combat frontline, the villa was used by the Allied command as headquarter for war operations.
The renovation carried out in 1983 brought the building back to its original look, but it was with the 2006 renovation (by the current owners) that the building saw its beautiful finishes highlighted and the installation of modern appliances to take it forward to 21st-century living standards.
The villa (380 sqm – 4,089 sqft) is laid out over four floors. On the outside are a loggia, a veranda with BBQ area, a private garden and swimming pool with solarium.
– Basement: cellar linked with the kitchen;
– Ground floor: entrance hall, largee kitchen with dining area, living room, bathroom, laundry room, two closets, boiler room and storage room with independent access;
– First floor: living room, studio, two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom, three bedrooms and two independent bathrooms;
– Second floor: bedroom and accessible lofts.
The guest house (65 sqm – 699 sqft) is laid out over two floors only and has a private garden.
– Ground floor: small courtyard, living room, closet and kitchen;
– First floor: double bedroom with bathroom.
The property has 1.2 hectares of land. Split amongst woodland (2,130 sqm), garden with trees (1,210 sqm), mixed fruit orchard (7,475 sqm) and a productive olive grove (1,140 sqm).
Adjacent to the house is located the 8 x 4 m swimming pool.
The villa has been carefully restored and renovated and is equipped with modern conveniences and comforts. Currently, run as a holiday accommodation business but it is possible to use the villa as a luxury private residence.
- TYPE – Large Historical luxury villa with pool, gardens and guest house, currently used as a holiday accommodation business
- CONDITION – Restored
- LOCATION – Hilly
- MUNICIPALITY – Terranuova Bracciolini
- PROVINCE – Arezzo
- REGION – Tuscany
- SIZE – 445 sqm (4,788 sqft)
- ROOMS – 14
- BEDROOMS – 7 (up to 8)
- BATHROOMS – 6
- FEATURES – stone walls, brick arches, terracotta flooring, stone fireplace, parquet flooring, professional kitchen, barrel vaults, pergola, veranda, BBQ, garden, olive grove, swimming pool, solarium
- LAND – 1.2 ha (3.0 acre)
- GARDEN – 1,210 sqm (0.3 acre)
- ANNEXE – Guest house
- ACCESS – Excellent
- POOL – 8 x 4 m
- ELECTRICITY – Already connected
- WATER – Mains water + private well (160 m)
- GAS – Municipal network
- HEATING – Radiators + air conditioning
- TELEPHONE – Already connected + ADSL
- NEAREST TOWNS – Town with services (1km, 5’), Montevarchi (5km; 10’), Greve in Chianti (33km; 45’), Arezzo (37km; 35’), Florence (45km; 45’), Siena (53km; 55’), Montepulciano (69km; 55’), San Gimignano (91km; 1h 15’), Montalcino (96km; 1h 20’)
- NEAREST AIRPORTS – Firenze Peretola (65km; 45’), Pisa Galilei (126km; 1h 25’), Bologna Marconi (147km; 1h 35’), Ancona Falconara (227km; 2h 50’), Roma Ciampino (248km; 2h 40’), Roma Fiumicino (262km; 2h 30’)
See more Luxury property for sale in Italy