Unique property comprising a restored large farmhouse, divided into a 3 bed and 1 bed apartment, plus a 17th century consecrated church, gardens and woodland. Lovely home and also ideal for vacation rentals. Near to Siena.
Unique Tuscan Farmhouse Property
Located in a dominating position among the Tuscan hills of the Crete Senes is this unique farmhouse with a 17th-century church, just a short drive from Monteroni d’Arbia and Siena and services available in the nearby town (4km; 5’).
The large farmhouse (575 sqm) includes, the church and two apartments with a total of 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and has been recently and tastefully updated and restored. Standing in 2.0 hectares of land, comprising gardens and mixed woodland. The farmhouse is reached via a well maintained unpaved road.
The building in its current shape dates back to the 17th century and was built over a pre-existing hermitage from the 14th century. Following a series of “miracles” which were attributed to the icon of the Virgin Mary which was sheltered amidst the ruin of the hermitage, the archbishop of Siena allowed the owner of the land to build a shrine (completed in 1620) where the icon was later moved. Over the centuries, the fame of this sacred image grew and attracted important personalities from all over Europe (including Princess Violante Beatrix of Bavaria in 1719).
When religious orders were abolished in Tuscany (1785) the shrine ended up in the hand of a noble Sienese family that undertook the commitment of preserving both the building and what was inside them.
Nowadays, the farmhouse keeps its original shape and has been fully restored to preserve its charm. While renovating, it was also decided to add a modern heating system, a video-surveillance system with alarm and a led lighting system all over the house.
The farmhouse has a surface area of 575 sqm – 6,188 sqft over two floors and includes the beautiful church on the southeastern side, two independent apartments and some cellars.
The master apartment has a surface area of 305 sqm – 3,282 sqft on two floors. On the lower level, you enter the building via a cosy porch into a small entrance hall. From here you can enter the spacious living room on the left or, going straight ahead, the dining room with the kitchen. A staircase then leads to the upper level. Midway through the stairwell, a landing leads into a generous living area with a bathroom, leading in turn to the first bedroom. At the top of the staircase, a reading room opens into another living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom.
The guest apartment has a surface area of 60 sqm – 646 sqft and is located on the northeastern side of the building, reached via a short external staircase. A small entrance room leads to the bathroom (on the left) and the kitchen right in front of the entrance door. The kitchen is connected to the living/dining room which in turn leads to the bedroom.
The cellars (30 sqm – 323 sqft) are located just below the guest apartment.
The church (180 sqm – 1,937 sqft) is made up of a single nave with a vaulted ceiling, fully restored, and embellished by three original altars (the main one dedicated to the Virgin, the other two respectively to the Apostles and St. Anthony).
The farmhouse stands in roughly 2.0 hectares of land, which has been landscaped into a mature and well-maintained garden around the building. The remaining areas are covered in mixed woodland. The location of the house on top of a hill ensures excellent sun exposure and a beautiful panoramic view over the surrounding Tuscan hills of the Crete Senesi.
It should be noted that the presence of a consecrated church is an important limitation that prevents the construction of a standard pool. However, the owners have already elaborated a project that envisions an above-ground pool placed along the slope: this would end up looking pretty much identical to an Infinity-edge pool, a workaround that however still complies with local regulations. The project can be carried on by the buyer if interested.
The property is divided in a way that leaves several options open. The first one is to use it as a beautiful private home while keeping the smaller apartment available for the guests. Alternatively, the quiet location of the property, not far from the services and the most beautiful towns and cities of Tuscany, would allow you to easily rent one or both apartments out to to the many tourists who visit the area.
- TYPE: Large Farmhouse with old church, gardens and woodland
- CONDITION: Restored
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Siena
- PROVINCE: Siena
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 575 square metres (6,188 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 17
- BEDROOMS: 4
- BATHROOMS: 4
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, 17th-century church, original altars, frescoes, terracotta and wooden floors, stone fireplaces, wooden beams, vaulted ceilings garden, portico, pergola with creepers
- LAND: 2.0 hectares (4.9 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well maintained
- ANNEXES: No
- ACCESS: Unpaved road
- SWIMMING POOL: No, but possible (above ground only, details in description)
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Private well
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: LPG
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Town with services (4km; 5’), Monteroni d’Arbia (8km; 10’), Buonconvento (16km; 20’), Siena (20km; 20’), Montalcino (29km; 35’), Monteriggioni (37km; 45’), Pienza (43km; 50’), Montepulciano (56km; 1h 5’), San Gimignano (62km; 1h 10’), Grosseto (66km; 1h), Volterra (71km; 1h 20’), Cortona (84km; 1h 10’), Castiglione della Pescaia (87km; 1h 15’), Florence (99km; 1h 35’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Firenze Vespucci (102km; 1h 25’), Grosseto Baccarini (70km; 1h), Pisa Galilei (137km; 2h), Bologna Marconi (184km; 2h 30’), Roma Ciampino (235km; 2h 40’), Roma Ciampino (257km; 3h)
See more Farmhouses for sale in Italy