Bedrooms 8 Bathrooms 14 Plot Size 6000 m² Living Area 762 m² Parking Yes Heating Fan coils + fireplaces + stoves + air conditioning Property Historic building, Spa wellness center with Finnish sauna, Turkish bath and emotional shower, swimming pool with solarium, panoramic terraces, well-maintained garden, greenhouse with geodetic dome, restaurant, walls painted by Mario Marco Marroni
Italian castle for sale. Beautiful and amazing restored castle presently used as an 8 bedroom boutique hotel and for conferences, congresses and events but would also make a superb luxury private home. Mature garden park, pool and spa.
Lovely Castle Property Città della Pieve Umbria
5 Minutes from Città della Pieve and near the Umbria and Tuscany border, this 19th-century castle is working as a boutique hotel with 8 bedrooms, restaurant and wellness centre. The property, built in the Neo-Gothic style, is surrounded by 6,000 sqm of lovely well-maintained park with mature trees, a swimming pool and a beautiful greenhouse with geodesic dome.
Services are all available in the nearby town of Città della Pieve (1km; 5’) and from the castle, one can easily reach many of the well-known cities and towns of Umbria and Tuscany (Montepulciano, Cortona, Pienza, Perugia, San Casciano dei Bagni, Orvieto, Montalcino…). The closest airport is Perugia (54km; 55’) and for international flights, Rome can be reached in less than two hours.
The castle has a surface area of 612 sqm – 6,585 sqft and was built in the second half of the 19th century in the Neo-Gothic style. The structure is made out of bricks and features elements typical of the style so loved in the 18th and the 19th century. The building has four floors plus a tower with a nice panoramic terrace:
– Basement: cellar/storage room;
– Ground floor: entrance room, offices with bathroom, ample living room, kitchen and two restaurant halls;
– First floor: four bedrooms with private sitting room and bathroom (three of these have direct access to the terrace of the castle);
– Second floor: living room on the landing, three bedrooms with private sitting room and bathroom and a two-story suite with direct access to the tower-top panoramic terrace.
The building has been finely restored and decorations were executed by the well known local artist Mario Marco Marroni who also painted a beautiful Trompe-l‘œil skyline of the city in the living room. Original windows have been restored and placed back in their positions and some of them feature beautiful multicoloured glass.
The original orangery (roughly 100 sqm – 1,076 sqft, 4 bathrooms) has been converted into a spa wellness centre with Finnish sauna, Turkish bath with chromotherapy, emotional shower, relaxation area and bathrooms.
Two small storage rooms (50 sqm – 538 sqft in total) complete the property.
The castle is surrounded by a well-maintained 6,000-sqm garden park accessed via an imposing iron gate. The well-maintained garden contains flowers and decorative bushes and mature trees including trees lindens, horse chestnuts, pines and Lebanon cedars and a huge 500-year-old oak in front of the castle. A metal gazebo, located on the right side of the castle, was originally used for outdoor breakfast’s and is nowadays used as an outdoor relaxation area.
One of the most interesting parts of the garden is the greenhouse covered in a nice geodesic dome (15 m in diameter) which was originally used as an aviary and to shelter some of the exotic animals the owner bought over the years.
Adjacent to the spa wellness centre is the 9.3 × 4.0 m swimming pool with terracotta-paved solarium.
This lovely Italian castle is utilised as a boutique hotel and conference, congress and events centre but would also easily convert into a luxury private home.
- TYPE: Italian Castle with garden park, pool and spa
- CONDITIONS: Restored
- LOCATION: Open and sunny
- MUNICIPALITY: Città della Pieve
- PROVINCE: Perugia
- REGION: Umbria
- INTERIORS: 762 square metres (8,199 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 18
- BEDROOMS: 8
- BATHROOMS: 14
- MAIN FEATURES: Historic building, Spa wellness centre with Finnish sauna, Turkish bath and emotional shower, swimming pool with solarium, panoramic terraces, well-maintained garden, greenhouse with a geodesic dome, restaurant, walls painted by Mario Marco Marroni
- LAND: 0.6 hectares (1.5 acres)
- GARDEN: 6,000 sqm
- ANNEXES: Spa Wellness centre, storage rooms
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: 9.3 × 4.0 m
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Fan coils + fireplaces + stoves + air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Città della Pieve (1km; 5’), Chiusi (10km; 15’), San Casciano dei Bagni (20km; 25’), Castiglione del Lago (22km; 20’), Montepulciano (31km; 35’), Cortona (41km; 45’), Perugia (45km; 55’), Pienza (45km; 55’), Orvieto (47km; 50’), Montalcino (60km; 1h 10’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (54km; 55’), Firenze Peretola (150km; 1h 35’), Roma Ciampino (169km; 1h 50’), Roma Fiumicino (184km; 2h), Pisa Galilei (210km; 2h 15’), Bologna Marconi (231km; 2h 25’)
See more Italian castles for sale