Italian castle and hamlet for sale in a superb central Italy location with views over Lake Trasimeno. When fully restored the property would be ideal for upmarket hotel use with 40+ bedrooms. 4.7 hectares of land inc gardens and olive grove.
Medieval Castle Property Overlooking Lake Trasimeno
This lovely property, thanks to its size and its central location close to the most beautiful parts of Central Italy would be ideal to start an upmarket hotel accommodation business. By refurbishing the building and restoring the beautiful finishes it would be possible to create a hotel with over 40 bedrooms with large halls suitable to be used as breakfast rooms/restaurants. The property comes with land, roughly 4.7 hectares, which is split amongst grazing land (1.1 ha), gardens (0.3 ha) and an olive grove (3.3 ha with 350 trees). The large gardens and the courtyard surrounding the buildings offer a breathtaking view of the surrounding countryside, with Lake Trasimeno in the background.
The hamlet is nestled on top of a hill in the Umbrian countryside and is made up of three separate buildings, for a total surface area of over 3,500 sqm (37,660 sqft).
The castle itself has been reworked many times over the centuries until it became an imposing fortified countryside dwelling. This building has been the subject of a meticulous preservation and consolidation work over the last few years: the roof has been completely revised and remade where necessary, while the interiors need to be finished with the installation of all the necessary systems (for which the building is ready). The first floor of the building houses some beautifully-decorated and painted halls with original marble floorings.
The 19th-century villa, which is easily recognizable by the arch-windowed turret, is in good structural condition but the roof needs a full recovery/reconstruction. Interiors are in builder’s finish and systems have not been installed.
The complex is served by three access roads branching off the main path uphill.
The road A (west) rides up the last part of the hill, spiralling around the complex and ending up in the small paved square in front of the castle.
The road B (central) is a tree-lined path leading to one of the many entrances passing through a nice small garden.
The road C (east) flanks the other slope of the hills and leads up to a stone archway which opens into a cute alley leading to the paved square of the castle.
Just underneath the houses of this Italian castle, there is a tunnel which was discovered to lead just outside the castle walls. The most plausible explanation is that this tunnel was dug to allow the noble family to quickly abandon the castle in the event of a siege.
- TYPE: Italian medieval hamlet with a castle fortress
- CONDITION: builder’s finish
- LOCATION: hilly, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Magione
- PROVINCE: Perugia
- REGION: Umbria
- INTERIORS: 3,500 square meters (37,660 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 130
- BEDROOMS: 40+
- BATHROOMS: 40+
- MAIN FEATURES: stone walls, wooden beams, panoramic view over the valley, painted vaulted ceilings, multicoloured marble floors, underground escape tunnel, tower, stone-paved square, gardens
- LAND: 4.7 hectares (3.3 ha olive grove + 1.1 ha grazing land + 0.3 ha garden)
- GARDEN: 3,000 sqm (0.7 ac)
- ANNEXES: yes, several buildings
- ACCESS: excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: no
- ELECTRICITY: already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: mains water + cisterns (3)
- TELEPHONE: to be connected
- ADSL: possible
- GAS: to be connected
- HEATING SYSTEM: to be connected
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Magione (5km; 10’), Passignano sul Trasimeno (15km; 20’), Perugia (19km; 25’), Umbertide (31km; 40’), Cortona (35km; 40’), Assisi (42km; 40’), Marsciano (46km; 40’), Montepulciano (51km; 50’), Montefalco (56km; 1h), Todi (60km; 50’), Pienza (67km; 1h), Spoleto (77km; 1h), Orvieto (91km; 1h 25’), Terni (95km; 1h 10’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (27km; 30’), Ancona Raffaello Sanzio (131km; 1h 40’), Firenze Vespucci (156km; 1h 40’), Grosseto Baccarini (174km; 2h), Roma Ciampino (199km; 2h 35’), Roma Fiumicino (214km; 2h 40’), Pisa Galilei (216km; 2h 25’), Bologna Marconi (237km; 2h 30’)
See more Italian castles for sale