Italian Castle estate for sale located on the green hills of Umbria near to Umbertide. In a panoramic position this imposing medieval castle, dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries, has a surface area of over 2,000 sqm and 63 hectares of land.
Historic Castle In Umbria Italy
Although this imposing property is in good structural condition, it does require a full restoration internally before being able to be lived in. There is a project available for turning this historic property into an upmarket hotel but it could also be utilised as a magnificent private home or subdivided into apartments, subject to the necessary permissions.
The castle itself (2,400 sqm – 25,824 sqft, 19 bedrooms and 22 bathrooms) is an imposing four-story stone building, currently in a builder’s finish. A project has already been approved to restore and convert the building into a hotel, which would be organized as follows.
– Ground floor: entrance hall, reception with luggage room, dressing room and staff WC, bar with breakfast room, professional kitchen with pantry/cool room and bathroom;
– Mezzanine floor: breakfast room accessible from the underlying bar, several storage rooms, ironing room, dressing room and WC;
– First floor: two large meeting room, library, living room, suite with sitting room and bathroom and five bedrooms with en-suite bathroom;
– Second floor: two suites (double bedroom, living room and bathroom) and eleven double bedrooms with en-suite bathroom.
In front of the castle is located a chapel (126 sqm – 1,356 sqft). Religious decorations have been preserved in the chapel while the basement of the building could be used to build a wine bar with a cellar.
Adjacent to the chapel was located a warden’s house (350 sqm – 3,766 sqft, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms), which has been demolished but it would be entirely rebuildable according to its original volume. The project for the hotel includes the following plan for this building, a wellness centre on the lower floors and two apartments on the uppermost floor:
– Ground floor: Spa with wellness centre;
– Basement: dressing room (men/women), hydrotherapy pool and a technical room for the Spa;
– First floor:
– Apartment N°1: entrance room, living room with dining area and kitchenette, double bedroom and bathroom;
– Apartment N°2: living room with dining area and kitchenette, double bedroom and bathroom.
The castle was built for protection and defence of the area between Umbertide and Gubbio. The existing castle building was built on the ruins of another castle, which dated to the 11th century, and which was destroyed after a siege. The building has a quadrangular tower (14th century) and a semicircular keep (15th century) adjoined to a rectangular fortified house (14th-15th
The complex has undergone consolidation works and is structurally in excellent condition although the interior of the castle needs a complete restoration.
The chapel next to the castle was dedicated to the Virgin Mary (as written above the door, Deiparae Virgini Dicatum, “Dedicated to the Virgin Mary Mother of God”) and was built in the second half of the 18th century and consecrated in June of 1783.
This imposing Italian castle is surrounded by a 9,300sqm garden and stands in 63 hectares (155.7 acres) of land. This is split amongst mixed and coppice woodland (40.8 ha – 100.8 ac), arable and grazing land (49.7 ac) and an olive grove (2.1 ha – 5.2 ac).
- TYPE Medieval Italian castle with chapel and 63 hectares of land
- CONDITION Needing restoration
- LOCATION Hilly, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY Umbertide
- PROVINCE Perugia
- REGION Umbria
- SIZE 2,526 sqm (27,180 sqft)
- ROOMS 37
- BEDROOMS 21
- BATHROOMS 24
- FEATURES Stone walls, medieval towers, chapel, rib vaults, columns, carved stone fireplaces, wooden beams and terracotta tiles
- LAND 63 hectares (40.8 ha woodland + 20.1 ha arable and grazing land + 2.1 ha olive grove)
- GARDEN 9,300 sqm (2.3 ac)
- ANNEXE Chapel, warden’s house to be rebuilt
- ACCESS Excellent
- POOL No
- ELECTRICITY To be connected
- WATER To be connected
- GAS To be connected
- HEATING To be connected
- TELEPHONE To be connected
- NEAREST TOWNS Umbertide (7km; 15’), Gubbio (25km; 30’), Città di Castello (27km; 25’), Tuoro sul Trasimeno (39km; 50’), Perugia (39km; 40’), Sansepolcro (41km; 35’), Cortona (46km; 1h), Assisi (52km; 50’), Castiglion Fiorentino (53km; 1h), Foligno (63km; 55’), Todi (80km; 1h 5’), Montefalco (81km; 1h 10’), Montepulciano (84km; 1h 20’), Spoleto (90km; 1h 10’), Orvieto (111km; 1h 40’), Montalcino (120km; 1h 50’)
- NEAREST AIRPORTS Perugia Sant’Egidio (37km; 35’), Ancona Falconara (119km; 1h 45’), Firenze Peretola (157km; 2h), Grosseto Baccarini (197km; 2h 25’), Bologna Marconi (216km; 2h 20’), Pisa Galilei (218km; 2h 40’), Roma Ciampino (219km; 2h 30’), Roma Fiumicino (234km; 2h 35’), Milano Malpensa (475km; 4h 50’), Milano Linate (421km; 4h 15’)
See more Italian Castles for sale
Other properties that may be of interest you
- Italian Castle for sale Italian castle and hamlet for sale in a superb central Italy location with views over Lake Trasimeno. When fully restored the property would be ideal for upmarket hotel use with…
- Tuscan Castle Estate In need of renovation and restoration, this Tuscan Castle Estate for sale comprises a castle with a hamlet of ten farmhouses and 683 ha of land. Once developed it would…
- Castle of Italy Beautifully restored castle of Italy for sale. Located near to Saluzzo and Cuneo in Piedmont the castle has 5 bedrooms, garden and swimming pool. A lovely prestige private home which…