This historical property in Umbria comprises a 16th-century monastery complex with several houses and outbuildings, 5.1 hectares (12.6 acres) of land and gardens and a swimming pool.
Ideal property to make a boutique hotel/holiday accommodation.
Todi Umbria Monastery Complex
This former monastery dating from the 16th century is situated on the hills around Todi, in a peaceful and beautiful location in the Umbrian countryside. The complex (about 2,200 square metres in size) is today divided into numerous components, including a painting studio, the main home, and many guest apartments. The structure needs consolidation and refurbishment but could be transformed into a luxury hotel without difficulty. The property also includes 5,1 hectares of land and gardens.
Many of Tuscany’s and Umbria’s well-known towns and cities such as Orvieto, Montefalco, Perugia, Assisi, Montepulciano, and Siena…are within easy driving distance.
The monastery has a surface area of 1,811 sqm / 19,486 sqft on three stories with many entrances leading to the various sections comprising the structure. The 16th-century building was constructed over the remnants of an earlier mediaeval village. Over the course of the 20th century, the monastery was frequented by noteworthy figures, such as the renowned artist Pietro Dorazio (1927-2005) and a previous proprietor of the monastery, who also constructed the pool. The structure was last renovated in the 1970s and 1980s, and the monastery needs consolidation and restoration.
• The former Sant’Angelo church has a surface area of 204 square metres; 2,195 square feet and has been turned into a delightful painting workshop, together with the former sacristy, which has also been converted into a variety of painting rooms and storage areas. The main residence (442 sqm / 4,756 sqft, 5 bedrooms, and 3 bathrooms) is located in the southern part of the monastery and is accessible via the cloister or front porch. There are various storage rooms, an office with a bathroom, a kitchen with its own eating area, and a huge living room on the ground level. The sleeping space is located on the ground level and features a central corridor connecting five bedrooms and two bathrooms. On the southern side of the floor is a 48-square-metre (516-square-foot) terrace. The loft could fit two more bedrooms and a shared bathroom with relative ease.
• On the eastern side of the cloister is a small guest apartment (52 sqm – 559 sqft, 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom) with a closet on the ground floor and a bedroom with a private bathroom on the first floor.
• The foresteria (372 sqm – 4,003 sqft, 6 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms) is a large guest wing located on the northern side of the monastery. On the ground level are the lobby/reception area, a kitchen with a breakfast area, and the laundry room. On the second level are two spacious living rooms with a balcony (23 square metres / 247 square feet) and a bathroom, as well as six bedrooms and two baths.
The old priest’s residence (600 sqm / 6,456 sqft, 2 bedrooms, and 1 bathroom) is built on three levels and is situated adjacent to the church. On the bottom level are the entrance and a number of storage spaces. The stairway leads to an apartment on the first level with a spacious living room, kitchen with an eating area, two bedrooms, and a bathroom. On the second level, which extends over the church, are a number of workshops and storage areas, as well as a studio with a modest terrace (12 square metres; 129 square feet).
The structure also has a large cellar (117 square metres) and various technical rooms (24 square metres) for the monastery’s systems.
The former monk cells have been turned into two cosy, single-story guesthouses. A central corridor connects the kitchen, two bedrooms, and bathroom in Cell A (53 square metres / 570 square feet, two bedrooms and one bathroom). The arrangement of Cell B (61 sqm / 656 sqft, 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom) is identical to the preceding one, with the addition of a small technical area at the rear.
A few steps from the monastery lies a two-story caretaker’s residence (157 square metres; 1,690 square feet; 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom). On the lower floor are four rooms used as a basement, storage, and firewood shelter, while the apartment’s entry, living space with kitchenette, three bedrooms, and bathroom are located on the top floor.
The property also includes an ancient pigsty (42 sqm), a greenhouse (42 sqm), the pool technical room (26 sqm), the water cistern (16 sqm), and a huge underground garage (66 sqm) that may house automobiles and/or equipment.
The monastery is surrounded by a well-kept garden that is encompassed by a wall, excellent for privacy. The 12×6 m swimming pool, created in 1990 by Pietro Dorazio and tiled with Bisazza mosaic tiles, is immediately adjacent to the monastery.
A 300-meter length of unpaved road lined with cypresses and beautiful plants leads to the complex. The territory around the monastery (about 5.1 hectares) consists of over 300 olive trees, a truffle field, and a small wood that provides privacy to the property.
The property is ideal for an investment aimed at establishing a premium boutique hotel due to its considerable size and separation into numerous separate apartments. The foresteria has an appropriate layout, as well as monk cells that are self-sufficient and rentable independently. While consolidating and renovating the structure, the inside might also be redesigned to accommodate additional visitors.
- TYPE: 16th-century monastery complex with several houses and outbuildings, 5.1 hectares (12.6 acres) of land and gardens and a swimming pool.
- CONDITION: partially habitable
- LOCATION: hilly, panoramic
- ACCESS: unpaved road (300 m)
- MUNICIPALITY: Todi
- PROVINCE: Perugia
- REGION: Umbria
- INTERIORS: 2,274 square meters (24,468 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 50+
- BEDROOMS: 21
- BATHROOMS: 11+
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, terracotta floors, wooden beams, original fireplace, vaulted ceilings, paved cloister, panoramic terrace, garden, mosaic-tiled pool, mouldings, frescoes
- EXTERIORS: 5.1 hectares (12.6 acres)
- GARDEN: yes, well maintained
- SWIMMING POOL: 12 × 6 m
- ANNEXES: Caretaker’s house, old monk cells, technical rooms
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water + private wells (3) + natural spring
- TELEPHONE: To be connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Gasoil
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Todi (8km; 15’), Orvieto (36km; 45’), Montefalco (36km; 40’), Perugia (48km; 40’), Terni (50km; 40’), Bolsena (50km; 1h), Spoleto (52km; 55’), Narni (54km; 45’), Assisi (64km; 50’), Castiglione del Lago (91km; 1h 10’), Montepulciano (96km; 1h 25’), Rome (139km; 1h 50’), Siena (149km; 1h 50’), Florence (191km; 2h 20’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (49km; 40’), Roma Ciampino (154km; 1h 45’), Roma Fiumicino (169km; 1h 55’), Firenze Vespucci (207km; 2h 15’), Pisa Galilei (268km; 3h), Bologna Marconi (289km; 3h 10’)
See more Monasteries for sale in Italy