History, location, great views, kerb appeal, renovated and restored and a very good price. This townhouse in Anghiari Tuscany will tick a lot of buyers boxes. Woven into the fabric of this medieval walled hilltop village. An ideal permanent or second home and would also be an ideal holiday let.
Anghiari Tuscany Historical townhouse property
On the beautiful village ramparts of Anghiari, with panoramic views over the Tiber Valley below is this 260-sqm restored townhouse on four floors. The house is of notable historic value and has a total of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, accessed from a picturesque alley in the medieval village.
The house has a surface area of 260 sqm – 2,798 sqft and is built right against the second line of ramparts in Anghiari, on the pedestrian section of the walls, and enjoys a superb and unique view of the Tiber Valley. The entrance hall is located in the heart of the medieval town, along a picturesque alley. The building has been restored and is in excellent condition. The property is perfectly habitable but would benefit from some minor cosmetic updating.
– Basement: cellar;
– Ground floor: entrance room and laundry;
– First floor: living/dining room, kitchen, hallway (currently used as a library and reading room), three bedrooms and bathroom;
– Second floor: sitting room, bedroom, bathroom and additional room (currently unused) with three windows oriented towards the valley.
The oldest walls of the house can be dated back as far as the 13th century as an addition to the ramparts of the town. The room on the ground floor, nowadays a laundry, was probably originally a stable for goats and sheep, as evidenced by the tools found during the renovation.
Tradition has it that the neighbourhood, including this very house, welcomed the English archbishop Thomas a Becket during his travel through Anghiari in the 12th century. To support these claims linguists intervened by explaining how the name the house is known by, Calabria, has nothing to do with the Italian region: that would probably be a malapropism of the name Cantuaria, the Latin toponym of Canterbury where Becket came from.
In the early 18th century, part of the building was converted to host a baby hatch, where poor mothers could leave their sons in full anonymity instead of abandoning them to death. In 1890 the hatch was finally removed and the building split into several residential units.
In 1972 these units were made into the single house that can see today.
A lovely Tuscan townhouse property that is full of character and history and will make a wonderful home.
- TYPE: Historic Townhouse property in the village centre
- CONDITION: Restored but would benefit from minor cosmetic updating
- LOCATION: Historic village centre on the old ramparts
- MUNICIPALITY: Anghiari
- PROVINCE: Arezzo
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 260 square metres (2,798 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 11
- BEDROOMS: 4
- BATHROOMS: 2
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, panoramic view over the Tiber Valley, house built along the medieval ramparts, ceramic and graniglia flooring
- LAND: No
- GARDEN: No
- ANNEXES: No
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Sansepolcro (8km; 15’), Caprese Michelangelo (17km; 25’), Città di Castello (24km; 20’), Monte Santa Maria Tiberina (33km; 40’), Arezzo (35km; 40’), Montepulciano (82km; 1h 20’), Siena (102km; 1h 35’), Montalcino (103km; 1h 45’), Firenze (108km; 1h 35’), San Gimignano (153km; 2h 5’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (73km; 50’), Firenze Vespucci (128km; 1h 35’), Bologna Marconi (184km; 2h 5’), Pisa Galilei (189km; 2h 15’), Roma Ciampino (255km; 2h 40’), Roma Fiumicino (270km; 2h 45’)
See more Townhouse properties
Other properties that may be of interest you
- Amalfi Coast Villa Property Sea Views Superb Amalfi Coast villa property with clifftop sea views. Luxury villa with 6 Bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, a swimming pool and garden. Large Spacious Amalfi Sea View Luxury Villa Built on…