Historical property – Restored Castle and estate. History, location, great views, kerb appeal, renovated and restored and a very good price. Prestige home or could be used for holiday rentals, business and events, ceremonies etc.
Anghiari Tuscany Historical Castle property
In a panoramic position on the Tuscan hills made famous by the renowned artist Piero della Francesca is this finely restored medieval castle with 65.9 hectares of land. The property currently has up to 20 bedrooms. It offers an excellent investment opportunity both for a private prestige residence and home but also it would be ideal as a holiday accommodation business thanks to the presence of a small hamlet, needing restoration, on the estate.
Services are all available in the nearby medieval village (5 km) and towns and cities such as Florence, Siena, Arezzo, Montepulciano can be quickly and easily reached in less than two hours by car.
The closest airport is Perugia (78km; 1h) but the airports of Florence, Pisa, Bologna and Rome are easily accessible.
The castle has its origins in the 11th century and has a surface area of 1,715 sqm with 9 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms structured on three floors in total:
– Ground floor: dining room, large kitchen (which can accommodate up to 24 people), warehouses, laundry, five bedrooms and four bathrooms;
– First floor: library with fireplace, four large halls (two lounges and two reception rooms), formal dining room, four bedrooms and three bathrooms;
– Second floor: various rooms, once used by the servants, which could easily be converted into guest rooms.
The castle has been recently renovated and restored to its original splendour and the entire building complies with all Italian regulations. The interior rooms, with large ceilings and large windows, are very bright and welcoming.
Farmhouse N ° 1 (375 sqm, 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms) is located a short distance from the castle and is structured on two floors. The building is ideal for creating additional rooms and expanding the hospitality business.
Next to the swimming pool there is a large event room (280 m2), created in what was once a drying room for tobacco grown in the surrounding fields.
Not far from the castle there is a hamlet consisting of various stone buildings in various states of repair, comprising
Farmhouse N ° 2 (320 sqm, 4 bedrooms and 1 bathroom)structured on three floors organized as follows:
– Ground floor: cellars and warehouses;
– First floor: living room, dining room, kitchen, three bedrooms and bathroom;
– Second floor: bedroom.
Farmhouse N ° 3 (120 sqm, 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom) structured on two floors:
– Ground floor: cellars and warehouse;
– First floor: living room, dining room with kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.
Farmhouse N ° 4 (210 sqm, 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom) structured on three floors. Adjacent to the building are some rooms used in the past as rooms for drying the tobacco grown on the estate.
– Basement floor: cellar and warehouse;
– Ground floor: living room, kitchen, dining room, bedroom and bathroom;
– First floor: two bedrooms.
The hamlet is completed by an old barn (130 m2), pigsty (45 m2) and a tool shed (30 m2).
The castle is surrounded by about 65.9 hectares of land, mostly made up of mixed forest (46.0 ha) and arable land (14.0 ha) suitable for cultivation. Various olive trees (about 5.0 ha in total) make it possible to produce excellent Tuscan oil.
Just behind the castle, in a quiet and private location, there is a beautiful 18 × 5 m swimming pool with changing room and showers.
The original castle dates back to the 11th century and was built to defend the connecting road between Valtiberina and Valdarno together with the nearby castle of Montauto.
Later, the castle was modified by the Barbolani di Montauto to be inhabited as a country villa and remained the property of the family until the eighteenth century.
A fire destroyed the castle in 1178 and the building was not rebuilt until the sixteenth century when the strategic function of the fortress was no longer relevant. Today the building is a typical fortified quadrangular villa, with four circular towers at the corners.
The sixteenth-century (or perhaps, as some hypothesize, seventeenth-century) nature of the reconstruction shines through in the large loggia with glass windows on the upper floor: large openings like this were not formerly contemplated in the fortresses as they offered easy access to the enemy in the event of a siege and constituted a structural weakness.
A lovely historical Tuscan property that is full of character and history and will make a wonderful home.
- TYPE: Historical property – Castle estate with hamlet
- CONDITIONS: Part restored
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Anghiari
- PROVINCE: Arezzo
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 3,225 square metres (34,701 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 40
- BEDROOMS: 20 (up to 30)
- BATHROOMS: 15
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, large windows, towers, terracotta floors, vaulted ceilings, decorated wooden beams, monumental staircases, frescoed halls, original stone fireplaces, mouldings, swimming pool with solarium, stone hamlet to be restored, event hall
- LAND: 65.9 hectares (162.8 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well-maintained
- ANNEXES: no
- ACCESS: excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: 18 × 5 m
- ELECTRICITY: already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: mains water + private wells
- TELEPHONE: already connected
- ADSL: yes
- GAS: LPG
- HEATING SYSTEM: Convectors
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Town with services (5km; 5’), Sansepolcro (13km; 20’), Arezzo (23km; 30’), Castiglion Fiorentino (38km; 40’), Cortona (52km; 1h), Montepulciano (74km; 1h 10’), Perugia (79km; 1h), Pienza (82km; 1h 20’), Siena (103km; 1h 30’), Firenze (103km; 1h 30’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (78km; 1h), Firenze Vespucci (115km; 1h 20’), Pisa Galilei (176km; 2h 10’), Bologna Marconi (188km; 2h 10’), Roma Ciampino (252km; 2h 55’), Roma Fiumicino (267km; 2h 55’)
See more Tuscany Castles for sale