Historical property – Tuscan hamlet estate. Main villa, Agriturismo plus several buildings. Total of 56.0 hectares of land, gardens, vineyard, olive grove. Two swimming pools. Further development potential.
Tuscany Historical Estate
This Historical property is located on the Tuscan hills near to Greve in Chianti in the heart of the Chianti Classico region and under an hour from Florence. It offers an excellent investment opportunity and is currently run as a holiday accommodation business. The buildings have a surface area of almost 1,700 square metres 16 bedrooms at the moment but with a further renovation you could add another 5+ .
The land covers 56-ha which includes a vineyard (5.9 ha) with Sangiovese, Cabernet and Chardonnay vines.
There is a town a minute away that provides services and further afield, towns and cities such as Greve in Chianti, Castellina in Chianti, Monteriggioni, Florence, Siena, Arezzo, Montepulciano, Pienza can be reached in 90 minutes or less.
The main villa has a surface area of 430 sqm – 4,627 sqft, 4 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms on three floors and is currently used in the holiday accommodation business being rented as a luxury vacation home.
The lower ground floor houses the old cellars, an entrance room, dining area with kitchen and a bathroom. The upper ground floor, accessible from outside as well, includes the beautiful reception hall, a private office space and four bedrooms with en-suite bathroom. The first floor is currently used as a storage area with six rooms.
The Agriturismo has a surface area of 660 sqm – 7,102 sqft and 12 bedrooms and 13 bathrooms. It has been created in a separate wing of the main complex and houses six apartments, one of which is currently used by the owners.
• Apartment N°1 (120 sqm – 1,291 sqft, first floor): large living room with open-plan kitchen, three bedrooms and two bathrooms;
• Apartment N°2 (120 sqm – 1,291 sqft, upper ground floor, first floor): living room, dining area with kitchen, reading room in the gallery, bathroom and two bedrooms with private bathroom;
• Apartment N°3 (120 sqm – 1,291 sqft, ground floor): living room and kitchen with exit into the porch, two bedrooms and three bathrooms.
• Apartment N°4 (90 sqm – 969 sqft, lower ground floor): living room with open-plan kitchen, pantry, two bedrooms and two bathrooms,
• Apartment N°5 (120 sqm – 1,291 sqft, mezzanine floor): dining room with fireplace and kitchen, two bedrooms with private bathroom (one with walk-in closet);
• Apartment N°6 (90 sqm – 969 sqft, upper ground floor): large living room with dining area, kitchen, storage, bedroom and bathroom.
A short distance from the Agriturismo is a former outbuilding (160 sqm – 1,722 sqft). This building has been partially converted to make a cosy BBQ area with a spacious paved terrace for outdoor dining. At its centre is a laundry and a workshop. The remaining rooms include storage and workshops.
To the front of the villa and the Agriturismo, slightly uphill, is the old farm (280 sqm – 3,013 sqft, 5 bedrooms and 1 bathroom) with a typical Tuscan farmhouse layout with storage and stables on the lower floor and the farmer’s house on the upper levels. The building is in need of a total renovation and could be converted either into an extension of the Agriturismo or into a wine cellar.
• Basement and lower ground floor: cellars, stables and storages;
• Upper ground floor: dining room with kitchen, living room, five bedrooms and bathroom;
• First floor: room in the tower and attic.
Adjacent to the farm is an old workshop (70 sqm – 753 sqft) laid over two floors with a small paved courtyard to the side.
The property is then completed by a storage area (40 sqm – 430 sqft) and an old barn (55 sqm – 592 sqft) on two floors, located just a short distance from the farm.
The property features generous garden areas all around, landscaped with stone walls, hedges and decorative plants.
The villa has its own private 8 × 4 m swimming pool located in the walled courtyard (roughly 350 sqm, with garden), while the Agriturismo features a larger 15 × 7.5 m swimming pool used by guests and set slightly above the building, in front of the farm and at the centre of a 1,200-sqm garden that could also be used as an event venue. Adjacent to the Agriturismo, going towards the BBQ area, is a convenient paved apron overlooking the surrounding Chianti hills which is very suitable for events and meetings.
Beyond the gardens, the estate covers over 56.0 hectares on the Chianti hills. The woodland (roughly 40.0 ha) includes both coppice (30.3 ha) and a chestnut grove (6.0 ha). The remaining surface area is mainly farmland and vineyards (5.9 ha) and olive groves (6.1 ha). The arable land (3.4 ha) could be easily used to plant more vines. As for production, vineyards are registered as Chianti Classico DOCG (3.0 ha) and Toscana IGT (2.9 ha).
The vineyards are currently rented out to a third party with a loan-to-use contract expiring on 2033. If you wanted you could end the contract before its term through a private agreement with the tenant, or use the remaining time to set up a wine cellar in the estate that could be used to produce wine without relying on a third party.
As for the vineyards, the oldest vines (Cabernet) dates back to 1995, while most recent plantings include Sangiovese (2009, 2020) and Chardonnay (2020). The planting distance is uniform (2.60 × 0.80 m) for younger vines, while it still has the old layout (3,00 × 1,20 m) in the oldest areas.
The property is currently managed as an accommodation business, renting out the villa (as a whole) and five out six apartments in the Agriturismo. The farmhouse needing restoration offers an excellent development opportunity: you could either convert the building to increase the holiday accommodation for the Agriturismo, creating more bedrooms and common areas for the guests, or you could create a wine cellar to exploit the vineyards without relying on others.
There is also the possibility of buying the estate without the vineyards (51.1 ha) for the reduced price of € 3,900,000 and the opportunity of buying the vineyards at a later date for € 850,000, potentially at the expiration of the loan-to-use in 2033.
If interested, the buyer could also acquire the furniture in the Agriturismo and the goodwill of the business.
A lovely historical Tuscan property that is full of character and history and offers great potential.
- TYPE: Historical property -Tuscan Hamlet with villa, agriturismo, buildings, vineyards, olive grove. Further development potential.
- CONDITIONS: Restored
- LOCATION: Hilly, very panoramic
- ACCESS: Unpaved road (300 m)
- MUNICIPALITY: Greve in Chianti
- PROVINCE: Florence
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 1,695 square metres (18,284 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 45+
- BEDROOMS: 16 (possible for 21+)
- BATHROOMS: 19 (possible for 20+)
- ANNEXES: farm, barn, workshop
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, wooden beams, terracotta floors, original fireplace, stone mills, cellar, garden, BBQ area, swimming pools, paved courtyard, vineyard, olive grove, development opportunity for additional guest accommodations and/or wine cellar
- EXTERIORS: 56.0 hectares (138.4 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, mature and well maintained
- SWIMMING POOL: 8 × 4 m | 15 × 7,5 m
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Private well
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: LPG
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators + air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Town with services (2km; 1’), Greve in Chianti (12km; 15’), Figline Valdarno (12km; 20’), Radda in Chianti (15km; 20’), Panzano in Chianti (19km; 25’), Gaiole in Chianti (25km; 30’), Castellina in Chianti (27km; 35’), San Casciano in Val di Pesa (28km; 35’), Monteriggioni (43km; 55’), Florence (45km; 50’), Siena (49km; 1h 5’), Arezzo (53km; 55’), San Gimignano (64km; 1h 10’), Volterra (86km; 1h 30’), Montepulciano (86km; 1h 20’), Pienza (94km; 1h 30’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Firenze Vespucci (61km; 55’), Pisa Galilei (102km; 1h 30’), Perugia San Francesco (37km; 1h 45’), Bologna Marconi (143km; 1h 40’), Roma Ciampino (264km; 2h 50’), Roma Fiumicino (280km; 3h)
See more Tuscany Real Estate