Historic home for sale, 30 minutes from Florence Tuscany comprising a 13th-century convent converted to living and rental accommodation, gardens, pool, and olive grove.
Historic Home – Converted 13th-century convent
This old 13th-century convent is for sale in the Chianti hills, half an hour from Florence and in a beautiful panoramic location. The current owners refurbished the property (about 950 sqm, 9 bedrooms) in the 1990s and it is currently successfully rented to guests. The 7,300-square-metre park that surrounds the building features a 12-metre swimming pool with views of the Chianti hills, as well as an olive grove (180 trees) on the northern side of the property.
While the beautiful historic city of Florence is just over half an hour’s drive from the property, many of Tuscany’s must-see towns and cities such as San Gimignano, Siena, Pisa, Montalcino, Pienza… can be reached in less than an hour and a half, making this historic home an ideal base for tourists and vacationers.
Documentary evidence exists in the records of the notary Palmerio di Corbizio (including precious documents dated 1237 and 1238) that the convent was established in 1237. It has a surface area of 672 sqm – 7,231 sqft, 9 bedrooms, and 6 bathrooms. The current owners refurbished the structure in the 1990s, with the intention of utilising the space for accommodation while keeping its original charm.
The reception halls (living room, kitchen, and dining room) are organised around a typical central cloister on the ground level, as are the historic cellars, three bedrooms, and two bathrooms. A staircase leads to the upper floor, and halfway up is a bedroom with a private toilet and walk-in wardrobe. The first level includes a spacious living area, a second kitchen, and a side reading room. The sleeping quarters on the first level have a large master bedroom with a private bathroom and walk-in closet, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a communal walk-in closet.
A stairway leads from the living area to the turret, where an elegant bedroom with a 360-degree panoramic view of the surrounding landscape has been created.
An agricultural storage building (63 sqm – 678 sqft) in front of the convent is in need of refurbishment.
A warehouse (228 sqm – 2,453 sqft) laid over two storeys and currently utilised as a shelter for tools and cars is located behind the building, in a quiet and barely visible location. There is the option of transforming the building (or employing the current volume) into more guest accommodations.
This historic home is set on a hilltop with unbroken views of the timeless Chianti hills and vineyards and is surrounded by 2.6 hectares (6.4 acres) of land. A 7,300-square-metre park with hedges, paved walks, and shade trees surrounds the structure. The garden terrace on the villa’s southern side is ideal for relaxing in the summer, and because of the backdrop and lovely view of the Tuscan countryside, this area is also ideal for ceremonies and celebrations.
The 12×6 m swimming pool with Roman steps and chlorine filtration system is not far from the villa, surrounded by trees and hedges. The grass sunbathing area surrounding the pool has umbrellas and gazebos and is ideal for relaxing.
The north-western part of the property is covered by an olive grove (1.3 ha) with 180 trees in full production: annual production can reach 180/190 kg of oil per year in good years.
The remaining surface area (about 3,800 square metres) is designated as arable land and mixed woods.
- TYPE: Historic home – 13th-century convent converted into living and rental accommodation, gardens, pool, and olive grove.
- CONDITION: Habitable (restored in 1990)
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic
- ACCESS: Unpaved road (900 m)
- MUNICIPALITY: San Casciano in Val di Pesa
- PROVINCE: Florence
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 963 square metres (10,362 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 20+
- BEDROOMS: 9+
- BATHROOMS: 6+
- ANNEXES: Storage, Warehouse
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone and brick walls, paved cloister, wooden beams, coffered ceilings, original stone fireplaces, old terracotta flooring, panoramic tower, park, tree-lined avenue, olive trees, original well, swimming pool with Roman staircase, agricultural warehouses
- TOTAL LAND: 2.6 hectares (6.4 acres)
- OLIVE GROVE: 180 trees
- GARDEN: Yes, well maintained and fenced
- SWIMMING POOL: 12 × 6 m
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water + natural spring + private well
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: LPG
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators + fireplaces
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Town with services (5km; 10’), San Casciano in Val di Pesa (8km; 15’), Castellina in Chianti (23km; 30’), San Gimignano (28km; 30’), Florence (30km; 35’), Monteriggioni (32km; 35’), Bagno a Ripoli (34km; 40’), Casole d’Elsa (39km; 45’), Gaiole in Chianti (42km; 55’), Siena (48km; 50’), Volterra (50km; 1h), Pisa (82km; 1h 10’), Montalcino (85km; 1h 25’), Pienza (98km; 1h 40’), Lucca (101km; 1h 20’), Grosseto (117km; 1h 35’), Cortona (118km; 1h 35’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Firenze A. Vespucci (40km; 35’), Pisa G. Galilei (79km, 1h), Grosseto C. Baccarini (117km; 1h 35’), Bologna G. Marconi (122km; 1h 25’), Perugia San Francesco (162km; 1h 25’), Genova C. Colombo (251km; 2h 55’), Roma Ciampino (302km; 3h 5’), Roma Fiumicino (316km; 3h 10’)
See more Religious properties