This heavenly property for sale was formerly a convent and is now run as a 20 bedroom boutique hotel with a swimming pool and gardens. It would also be possible to use as a prestigious private home
San Gimignano Tuscany Hotel
A short distance from the medieval town of San Gimignano, in an extremely panoramic position, this medieval abbey has been converted into a 20-key boutique hotel (3,178 sqm). The buildings have all been restored a few years back but might benefit from a few renovations. The property is completed by 2.5 hectares of garden enclosed by a stone wall. Not far from the villa is the pool area with a bar.
The hotel, currently in operation, is located just 3km from San Gimignano and is located in an extremely convenient position that allows you to move easily throughout Tuscany and its most beautiful towns and cities such as Monteriggioni, Volterra, San Casciano in Val di Pesa, Siena, Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Montepulciano, Grosseto, Follonica.
The master villa has a surface area of 1,820 sqm – 19,583 sqft with 16 bedrooms and 26 bathrooms and is the result of the restoration of the old convent and is today a boutique hotel. On the ground floor, we find the common rooms of the structure, including three large dining rooms (one of which was obtained in the church of the complex, now deconsecrated) with a professional kitchen, the hotel lobby with reception, an office and several toilets. Going up to the first floor we find the section for guests with 15 bedrooms, all equipped with an en-suite bathroom. Finally, the tower hosts a suite with a bathroom and relaxation area (whirlpool bath).
At the centre of the structure is a wonderful arcaded cloister and, in the middle of this, a well. Just below, accessible from inside the hotel is the cellar of the complex, built within an ancient water cistern.
Outside the hotel, there is also a breakfast room (66 sqm – 710 sqft) reserved for the guests of the structure.
The guesthouse (188 sqm – 2,023 sqft, 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms) is structured on two floors as follows:
– Ground floor: two bedrooms and two bathrooms;
– First floor: two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Below the annexe and the hotel, which are therefore connected, there are many underground rooms (for a total of 1,104 sqm – 11,879 sqft) that include tool storage, refrigerating room for food, a gym equipped with changing rooms and showers, a local for loading/unloading goods and toilets for the employees of the structure.
The main building, whose shape reveals the origins of the complex as a monastery, was erected in the last twenty years of the 16th century as a gift of the population to the monks who had helped the country in times of crisis. The convent was ultimately consecrated at the end of the century (1598–1599). With the arrival of the French army at the end of the 18th century, the convent was abandoned until the 20th century when the property was finally bought by a noble and influential Florentine family.
The structure is nowadays in good condition: the renovation was carried out several years back with great care, using only original materials such as columns, stone frames and jambs. The chapel (with its sacristy) is no longer consecrated and has recently been transformed into a restaurant hall. The tower, a prominent element of the property, now houses a suite with a bathroom and whirlpool tub. From the windows, you have a direct view of the famous towers of San Gimignano.
The villa is set inside a 2.5-hectare park, entirely surrounded by a stone wall. The Italian garden of the complex was designed by a student of the famous landscape architect Pietro Porcinai. Moving away from the buildings we find an English park dotted with cypress and oak trees and the swimming pool of the property (16 × 6 m), equipped with solarium and bar area.
The complex, of considerable historical and architectural value, is currently used as an accommodation business as a boutique hotel. The beautiful geographical location, close to the most beautiful cities in Tuscany, also contributes to making the structure particularly suitable for tourist accommodation.
It is always possible to reconvert the building into a private residence.
- TYPE Old convent converted into a 20 bedroomed boutique hotel
- CONDITION Habitable
- LOCATION Hilly, panoramic, view of San Gimignano
- MUNICIPALITY San Gimignano
- PROVINCE Siena
- REGION Tuscany
- SIZE 3,178 sqm (34,195 sqft)
- ROOMS 50+
- BEDROOMS 20
- BATHROOMS 35
- FEATURES Stone walls, Italian garden, park, pool, gym, panoramic view, church, decorated stone fireplaces, terracotta floors, portico, cloister, mouldings, marble floors, coffered ceilings, rib vaults, balconies, terraces
- LAND 2.5 hectares
- GARDEN Yes, designed by one of Porcinai’s apprentices
- ANNEX Several technical rooms, breakfast room, guesthouse
- ACCESS Excellent
- POOL 16 × 6 m
- ELECTRICITY Already connected
- WATER Mains water
- GAS Already connected
- HEATING Already connected + air conditioning
- TELEPHONE Already connected + ADSL
- NEAREST TOWNS San Gimignano (3km; 10’), Monteriggioni (27km; 40’), Volterra (29km; 35’), San Casciano in Val di Pesa (41km; 40’), Siena (49km; 55’), Florence (60km; 1h 15’), Pisa (75km; 1h 20’), Lucca (81km; 1h 35’), Montepulciano (103km; 1h 35’), Grosseto (113km; 1h 40’), Follonica (121km; 1h 50’)
- NEAREST AIRPORTS Firenze Peretola (70km; 1h 5’), Pisa Galilei (72km; 1h 5’), Bologna Marconi (151km; 1h 55’), Perugia Sant’Egidio (157km; 2h 5’), Roma Ciampino (285km; 3h 10’), Roma Fiumicino (300km; 3h 15’), Milano Linate (348km; 3h 35’), Milano Malpensa (401km; 4h 10’)
See more Hotels for sale in Italy