Farmhouse for sale in Italy. Restored, 5 beds, 1 bed guest annexe, 40.5 hectares (100.0 acres) land and gardens, olive grove, outbuildings. Versatile Tuscan property.
Tuscan Farmhouse for sale
This lovely farmhouse property is versatile and well-suited for various purposes. It could serve as an idyllic residence for a large family seeking to live in close harmony with nature while remaining within reach of essential amenities. Alternatively, the farmhouse could be converted into a bed and breakfast or vacation home, with the potential for transforming the old stables into a small wellness centre for guests. Finally, the estate could operate as an Agriturismo if the new owners wanted to engage in hands-on agricultural activities, such as olive production, organic farming, or animal husbandry.
Located on the Tuscan foothills of Casentino, in close proximity to Arezzo and Subbiano, this 17th-century farmhouse, along with a guesthouse and outbuildings, spans a total area of 469 square metres and the property has undergone tasteful and meticulous restoration by the current proprietor, preserving its original features.
Set within 40.5 hectares of land, the surroundings are abundant with woodlands and olive trees covering 7.3 hectares. The property is situated on the hills that separate the Arno Valley from the Tiber Valley, offering an almost unspoiled natural setting. This strategic location follows the ancient transhumance route between the Alpe di Catenaia and the Maremma, granting convenient access to various notable destinations such as the city of Arezzo, which is a mere 15 minutes away by car. Additionally, the upper Casentino region, including the sanctuaries of Camaldoli and La Verna, as well as the Tiber Valley with places like Anghiari and Sansepolcro, can be easily reached from the property. Notably, the city of Florence is within an hour’s reach.
The farmhouse has a surface area of 351 square meters with 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and has been recently restored. Its origins date back to the early 17th century, with historical traces dating even further into the past. The presence of a natural spring, still supplying the basin in front of the country house, suggests habitation since ancient times. Documentation indicates habitation as early as the early 14th century, with houses and a small church dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, which was deconsecrated in the early 18th century. The farmhouse itself was inhabited by farmers until 1960. The current owner has conducted detailed research on the history of the place and the house, publishing her findings in 2019.
The ground floor of the house features a spacious entrance hall with an intact, functional stone oven. Additionally, there is a large kitchen with a fireplace, connected to the pantry and the basement via an internal staircase. The ground floor also comprises a sizable dining room, a service bathroom, and a spacious living room, utilized as a library, offering access to a panoramic terrace that affords views of the lights of Arezzo and the silhouette of Mount Cetona on clear summer evenings.
An ancient Pietra serena staircase, along with a modern elevator, connects the ground floor to the first floor, which features an impressive central hall adorned with an ancient stone fireplace, four spacious and comfortable double bedrooms, and two bathrooms. The gallery under the roof has been transformed into a small bedroom or office space.
The living areas boast terracotta flooring, while the sleeping quarters have warm parquet flooring. The walls are perfectly plastered, and the ceilings boast exposed beams and terracotta tiles, meticulously recovered using the sandblasting technique where possible. The property’s distinctive features include the old terracotta and stone fireplaces, the internal staircase, and the door jambs on the ground floor, all crafted from hand-engraved pietra serena, as well as the ancient terracotta arches adorning the windows.
The hunter’s cottage, situated a short distance from the main house, spans 42 square metres and has been renovated. It features a convenient storage room with a window on the lower floor and a studio apartment with a cooking corner on the upper floor, providing comfortable accommodations for friends and relatives with complete privacy.
The rural outbuildings, measuring 76 square metres, have undergone renovation. They were previously used for housing animals and various farmhouse services but are currently utilized as woodsheds and technical rooms for the house.
The country house is enveloped by a beautiful garden replete with trees and flowers. The entire property spans about 40.5 hectares, more than half of which is covered by mixed woodland (18.7 hectares) and a chestnut grove (13.2 hectares). The well-maintained and productive olive grove encompasses approximately 7.3 hectares surrounding the country house, with additional portions of arable land (1.1 hectares) offering the potential for planting more olive trees or crops.
Given its ample space and ample water supply in the area, the property would be well-suited for the construction of a panoramic Infinity-edge pool, subject to obtaining the necessary permissions, affording unparalleled views of the lush Casentino hills surrounding the country house.
- TYPE: 17th-century farmhouse, land annexe, olive grove
- CONDITION: Restored (1997-1998, 2000-2007)
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic
- ACCESS: Excellent, paved road
- MUNICIPALITY: Arezzo
- PROVINCE: Arezzo
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 469 square metres (5,047 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 18
- BEDROOMS: 6
- BATHROOMS: 4
- ANNEXES: “Hunter’s house”, chestnut drying barn, former stables
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone and brick walls, terracotta and parquet floorings, original wooden beams with terracotta tiles, original fireplaces, pietra serena frames, vaulted ceilings, internal elevator, guesthouse, olive trees, chestnut grove
- LAND: 40.5 hectares (100.0 acres)
- OLIVE GROVE: 7.3 hectares (18.0 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well maintained
- SWIMMING POOL: No, but possible
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Natural spring
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: LPG + wood-burning boiler (energy class C)
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Town with services (3km; 5’), Arezzo (14km; 20’), Bibbiena (20km; 25’), Anghiari (21km; 30’), Poppi (27km; 35’), Sansepolcro (29km; 40’), Castiglion Fiorentino (31km; 40’), Chiusi della Verna (32km; 40’), Bucine (37km; 45’), Cortona (42km; 55’), Monte Santa Maria Tiberina (43km; 1h), Città di Castello (44km; 45’), Montepulciano (64km; 1h 5’), Umbertide (64km; 1h), Pienza (72km; 1h 15’), Florence (85km; 1h 15’), Siena (87km; 1h 25’), Gubbio (92km; 1h 30’), Perugia (95km; 1h 25’), San Gimignano (131km; 1h 50’), Volterra (152km; 2h 5’), Pisa (169km; 2h 5’), Rome (229km; 2h 40’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Firenze A. Vespucci (106km; 1h 20’), Forlì L. Ridolfi (129km; 2h), Grosseto C. Baccarini (152km; 2h 5’), Rimini F. Fellini (159km; 2h 15’), Pisa G. Galilei (166km; 2h), Bologna G. Marconi (187km; 2h 5’), Roma Ciampino (243km; 2h 40’), Roma Fiumicino (257km; 2h 40’)
See more Farmhouses for sale in Italy