Farmhouse for sale in Italy, in Tuscany a short drive from Castiglione d’Orcia. Lovely restored picture postcard property. 350 square metres 4-bed farmhouse with 60 square metres barn (needs restoring), 3.2 hectares of land with olive grove and lovely gardens.
Farmhouse for sale in Italy
This lovely farmhouse property is set on a hilly and panoramic spot, not far from Castiglione d’Orcia and famous Tuscan towns and cities such as San Quirico d’Orcia, Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Siena, Cortona, San Gimignano, Florence… can be quickly and easily reached in under 2 hours.
In the Val d’Orcia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the property is surrounded by woods and has excellent privacy and has been renovated with great care to keep its rustic charm intact and is now a beautiful private home with 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. To complement the farmhouse there is a barn, which needs to be restored and would make excellent guest accommodation, and 160 olive trees.
The farmhouse has a surface area of 350 sq m and unfolds over two floors and wraps around a paved courtyard with loggia. Many of the rooms on the ground floor have direct access from the outside. The living area consists of three rooms in sequence: a large living room with a fireplace, the dining room in the centre and the kitchen at the end of the farmhouse. From the dining room, a door leads to the first bathroom.
From the courtyard, you have access to one of the bedrooms, totally independent and with an en-suite bathroom, and to two storerooms/pantries. On the opposite corner from the kitchen is the laundry room (accessible with a door directly from the outside or from the living room).
From the living room, a staircase leads to the upper floor, entirely dedicated to the sleeping area and composed of three bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms. The floor is also accessible directly from the outside via a staircase with a small loggia.
A short distance from the farmhouse there is also an old barn (60 sqm) which could be renovated to create a lovely guest house.
The farmhouse was completely renovated between 2002 and 2005 using original materials or as close to the originals, following the directives of the Superintendence of Archeology, Fine Arts and Landscape. The floors are all in antique terracotta in the living area and oak planks in the bedrooms. The terracotta is mainly original Tuscan-made but some portions of the house (such as the sitting rooms) are instead paved with French terracotta with a hexagonal motif. The terracotta of the external portico instead comes from an old Emilia Romagna monastery. The beams are made of oak. The entire building was insulated with cork panels, preferring the use of a natural and non-polluting material.
The heating on the ground floor is entirely positioned under the floor so as not to interfere with the rustic appearance of the building, while on the first floor, given the use of wooden floors, the heating takes place via classic radiators. The electricity lines were buried to avoid the presence of poles along the road and on the property’s grounds, to preserve the timeless views.
The land is about 3.2 hectares, planted as a garden in the part closest to the farmhouse and marked by the dry stone walls typical of the Val d’Orcia. The building is then surrounded by trees which give excellent privacy. The olive grove (1.3 hectares for a total of 160 trees) makes it possible to produce excellent extra virgin olive oil. The woods include oaks, holm oaks, strawberries, junipers and broom.
The farmhouse is wrapped around a central paved courtyard and completed by a large covered loggia (about 25 square metres), ideal for relaxing in the pleasant climate of the Val d’Orcia, perhaps sipping some excellent Tuscan wine and relaxing with friends and family.
The farmhouse, given its quiet and private location, is perfect both as a private residence and as holiday rental accommodation. The presence of a staircase to the first floor guarantees guests privacy in case the owners want to keep the lower part of the farmhouse for themselves as a private residence.
- TYPE: Farmhouse for sale in Italy with barn and olive grove
- CONDITION: Restored (2002 – 2005)
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic, very private
- MUNICIPALITY: Castiglione d’Orcia
- PROVINCE: Siena
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 410 square metres (4,412 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 10
- BEDROOMS: 4
- BATHROOMS: 4
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, oak wooden beams, wooden doors, stone fireplaces, terracotta floors, brick arches, oak planks, paved courtyard, ample paved loggia, dry-stone walls, olive grove
- LAND: 3.2 hectares (7.9 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, around the farmhouse
- ANNEXES: Barn to be restored
- ACCESS: Unpaved road (4 km)
- SWIMMING POOL: No, but possible (with a project)
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water + Artesian well
- TELEPHONE: To be connected
- ADSL: Possible
- GAS: LPG (energy class E)
- HEATING SYSTEM: Underfloor + radiators + fireplaces + stove
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Castiglione d’Orcia (5km; 10’), Bagno Vignoni (10km; 20’), San Quirico d’Orcia (14km; 25’), Pienza (24km; 35’), Montalcino (27km; 40’), Montepulciano (34km; 40’), Castiglione del Lago (58km; 1h 10’), Siena (59km; 1h 10’), Cortona (77km; 1h 35’), Orvieto (89km; 1h 30’), San Gimignano (101km; 1h 50’), Castiglione della Pescaia (102km; 1h 45’), Florence (128km; 2h)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Grosseto Baccarini (85km; 1h 30’), Firenze Vespucci (133km; 2h 10’), Pisa Galilei (175km; 2h 40’), Roma Ciampino (211km; 2h 35’), Roma Fiumicino (226km; 2h 40’), Bologna Marconi (239km; 3h 10’)
See more Farmhouses for sale in Italy