Farm Estate near to Greve in Chianti and Florence. Restored manor villa and chapel with various outbuildings for renovation and restoration. Ideal for upmarket holiday accommodation.
Tuscan manor villa with farm, manorial chapel and annexes
This fine period manor estate is made up of an 18th-century villa with farm, manorial chapel and annexes with a total of 4,000 sqm of surface area. A partial restoration of the buildings has preserved their beautiful finishes and completing the process would give 34 bedrooms and 35 bathrooms, making for an ideal property for a luxury accommodation business.
The period villa (approx. 1,300 sqm – 13,988 sqft, 6 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms) is laid out over four above-ground floors: the first floor (also accessible via the double staircase in the front) and the ground floor have been carefully and recently restored, preserving the beautiful finishes. The roof of the villa has been rebuilt and thoroughly insulated.
– Ground floor: ample entrance hall, living room, two dining room with pietra serena fireplace, kitchen, office, bathroom, closet, storage rooms and cellars;
– First floor: frescoed hall with decorated fireplace, sitting room, living room with nice pietra serena fireplace, pool room, frescoed master bedroom with terrace and en-suite bathroom, twin bedroom with studio and en-suite bathroom, bedroom with en-suite bathroom, three bedrooms (two of which are frescoed) and three bathrooms (one with tub);
– Second floor: currently in builder’s finish, it is made up of nine rooms with six drainage pipes installed;
– Attic: loft with 360° view.
The central-plan manorial chapel, built in 1710 and covered with a dome, is located adjacent to the villa.
The warden’s house (circa 60 sqm – 645 sqft, 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom) is laid out over three floors, with access from both the secondary road and the courtyard behind the villa.
– Ground floor: cellar, storage room and small courtyard;
– First floor: entrance hall, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom;
– Second floor: bedroom.
Garage, spanning 21 m in length, is located in the courtyard in the back of the villa, right inside the perimeter wall.
The old farmhouse (approx. 2,700 sqm – 29,052 sqft, 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms) is made up of a huge building laid out onto three floors:
– Ground floor: to be restored;
– First floor: keeper’s apartment, currently inhabited;
– Second floor: to be restored.
The ample surface area of the building would allow making several apartments to be used in an accommodation business.
The villa has retained almost untouched its original look. It is made of a higher central section flanked by two symmetrical wings.
At the centre of the façade is located the main door, topped by a curvilinear tympanum with a family crest supported by two angels. The main door, located on the first floor, is reached via a double staircase.
On the ground floor, once hosting the kitchens, one can see a nice stone fireplace with crest and a washbasin.
The first floor hosts the main halls of the building: several rooms, set in a line along the park façade, have decorated vaulted ceilings and have been finely restored.
The one in the central living hall, directly accessed from the external staircase, hosts the family’s crest held by women. At its side, symbols and mythological figures allude to the theme of the Four Seasons. In the same room one can admire a beautiful plaster fireplace topped by a cartouche containing a fire and the writing Innovissimo Fumus; at its sides, two children ride two deer.
The ceilings in the other rooms host symbols and images from the Mythological world, exalting virtues counterposed to vices.
In one of those, at the centre of the composition, one can see a cartouche with the writing Gratior est pulchro veniens in corpore virtus (a quotation from Seneca meaning virtue appears peculiarly graceful when associated with beauty). The several allegoric figures, such as the Vanitas personified by a woman looking into a mirror, and the various symbols (such as the scale for justice or the serpent for the eternity) revolves around the theme of moral virtues with the aim of exalting the customer’s qualities.
In the other two ceilings, trumpets held by angels clearly alludes to virtue’s victory over vices which, in one of the two frescoes, are personified by a satyr and three chained figures, symbolizing the man enslaved by his lower instincts.
The roof of the building hosts a weathercock, shaped like the family crest.
The villa has an annexe which was once used for the farming business. Over the main door, one can see a crest and the date 1777. Above the opening, there is a sundial, while on the left is located a clock. A bell is placed on a small bell tower on the roof.
On the opposite side of the villa, with access from the garden, is located a chapel and the patron saint is represented above the altar.
The historical buildings (villa, farmhouse, chapel and warden’s house) are located inside a 2-ha private park in whose centre, right in front of the villa, there is a circular decorative pool (roughly 11 mts in diameter).
- TYPE Period farm estate complex made up of manor villa with a farm, manorial chapel and annexes
- CONDITION The villa and the chapel have been restored, other buildings need renovations
- LOCATION Open and sunny
- MUNICIPALITY Greve in Chianti
- PROVINCE Florence
- REGION Tuscany
- SIZE 4,060 sqm (43,685 sqft)
- ROOMS 50+
- BEDROOMS 13 (up to 34)
- BATHROOMS 13 (up to 35)
- FEATURES Frescoed and coffer ceilings, private chapel, stairs and decorations in pietra serena, terracotta floors, fireplace made out of plaster and pietra serena
- LAND 2 hectares
- GARDEN Yes, well-maintained around the villa with park and olive trees
- ANNEXE Several rural and residential buildings
- ACCESS Excellent, with automatic gates
- POOL Decorative pool (11 m in diameter) with a purifier
- ELECTRICITY Already connected
- WATER Mains water + natural spring
- GAS LPG
- HEATING Radiators
- TELEPHONE Already connected + ADSL
- NEAREST TOWNS Town with services (6km; 10’), Greve in Chianti (11km; 15’), San Casciano in Val di Pesa (19km; 25’), Florence (23km; 40’), Gaiole in Chianti (33km; 45’), San Gimignano (56km; 1h), Monteriggioni (58km; 50’), Arezzo (62km; 1h 5’), Siena (74km; 1h), Volterra (77km; 1h 15’), Montepulciano (95km; 1h 30’), Montalcino (111km; 1h 40’), Scarlino (128km; 1h 45’), Castiglione della Pescaia (150km; 1h 45’)
- NEAREST AIRPORTS Firenze Peretola (42km; 45’), Pisa Galilei (93km; 1h 20’), Bologna Marconi (124km; 1h 30’), Perugia Sant’Egidio (145km; 1h 55’), Roma Ciampino (273km; 2h 55’), Roma Fiumicino (288km; 3h), Milano Linate (320km; 3h 10’), Milano Malpensa (374km; 3h 45’)
More Tuscan properties