Developer property in the centre of the beautiful Tuscan village of Anghiari. Ripe for real estate development, commercial and/or residential. A historic palazzo and former stables.
Tuscan Real Estate Development Opportunity
Tuscany is a region in Italy with a popular reputation for beauty and wealth. It’s as famous for its striking hilltop towns and medieval villages (such as Anghiari) as it is for its delicious food and fine wines. In addition to the picturesque landscapes, Tuscany is also home to numerous historical landmarks, including some of the world’s most valuable paintings in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, the world’s largest domed structure in the Florence Santa Maria Cathedral, and some of the most recognizable architectural designs in the world, like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Once developed this large property would be an ideal destination for tourists as holiday letting units, a boutique hotel or for sale as apartments to both locals and expats wanting to retire in Italy.
The property has a surface area of roughly 1,800 sqm in total and comprises two wings which are connected by a corridor: the main wing, facing Corso Matteotti, is in excellent condition and split into two apartments (which would benefit from updating); the old stables, on the other hand, are in need of full renovation to be usable. The property offers an excellent opportunity for a developer to transform this historic property with a residential and/or commercial development.
Anghiari is a well-known tourist destination in Tuscany and offers all the necessary services (restaurants, banks, post offices, supermarkets) but many parts of Tuscany and Umbria can also be easily reached (Sansepolcro, Città di Castello, Arezzo, Cortona, Perugia, Florence, Siena…).
The closest airport Perugia (73km; 50’) but the airports of Florence, Pisa, Bologna and Rome can be easily reached.
The palazzo has a surface area of roughly 1,800 sqm – 19,368 sqft comprising two wings connected by an L-shaped corridor. At the rear of the building, there are two gardens (different in size and laid on different levels) with a total surface area of approximately 1,500 sqm.
The old stables are on two floors. The lower level currently houses a garage and a large room which was used until a few years ago as a grocery shop. This room needs a total renovation which could be used to rework into multiple rooms, creating a new home in the complex.
On the upper level, there are several bedrooms with bathroom, connected through a corridor. In the past, there was an idea to start an accommodation business at the property, a good idea when you consider the large number of tourists visiting Anghiari every year. It has been unused for several years and this portion of the building needs to be restored as well. It still retains but still the original features which could be reused in the restoration.
Through the L-shaped corridor, you get to the second floor of the main wing, which is laid over four floors. This wing faces Corso Matteotti (locally known as la ritta or la croce) and has a beautiful entrance from the road leading to a stylish and typical staircase. On the ground floor (Corso Matteotti side) there are a few storage areas and the boiler room. On the first floor, there is a 3-bedroom apartment with an exit onto the exclusive lower garden.
On the second floor (at the same level as the main garden) there is another apartment with an exit on the rear of the garden. The back door goes through a beautiful veranda with three arches.
On the upper floor, partially usable, there are a few attic rooms that are currently used as wardrobes and laundry room.
The building is structurally in excellent condition but needs a thorough restoration and updating, especially in the old stables. Luckily, in the past, it was decided to always preserve and retain the original features (wooden beams, marble and terracotta floors, old fireplaces, pietra serena frames…) which are still present and usable for any renovation.
As well as the access from Corso Matteotti the property can also be accessed via the garden at the rear. This is vehicle accessible and a part of the park (1,500 sqm) could be used as a parking area. The garden areas need maintenance and cleaning up.
In the corner of the park, there is a stone wall that divides the upper garden (bigger and with direct access from the road) and the lower garden, accessible from the first floor of the apartment on the first floor of the main wing of the complex.
An excellent property for the budding or experienced property developer.
- TYPE: Historic palazzo with garden
- CONDITIONS: Needs to be restored
- LOCATION: Historic village centre
- MUNICIPALITY: Anghiari
- PROVINCE: Arezzo
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 1.800 square metres (19,368 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 25+
- BEDROOMS: 15+
- BATHROOMS: 15+
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, terracotta and marble floors, pietra serena frames, wooden beams, original stone fireplaces, vaulted ceilings, manorial staircase, garden
- LAND: 1,500 square metres (0.4 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, at the rear
- ANNEXES: No
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Sansepolcro (8km; 10’), Caprese Michelangelo (16km; 20’), Città di Castello (23km; 20’), Arezzo (26km; 30’), Castiglion Fiorentino (34km; 35’), Umbertide (45km; 35’), Cortona (47km; 55’), Perugia (74km; 55’), Montepulciano (79km; 1h 10’), Pienza (86km; 1h 20’), Siena (98km; 1h 25’), Montalcino (100km; 1h 35’), Florence (106km; 1h 40’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Perugia San Francesco (73km; 50’), Firenze Peretola (118km; 1h 30’), Pisa Galilei (179km; 2h 10’), Bologna Marconi (183km; 2h), Roma Ciampino (257km; 2h 40’), Roma Fiumicino (272km; 2h 45’)
See more Anghiari real estate
Other properties that may be of interest you
- Anghiari House Unique historic Anghiari house which is part of the medieval walls of this beautiful village. Restored with 3 bedrooms the property is an ideal home and/or could be used to…
- Large Tuscan Villa Development opportunity. Large Tuscan villa, 600 square metres (6,456 square feet) on 3 floors. The property needs a complete renovation, presently 6 apartments. 4,300 square metres (1.0 acres) garden. Possible…
- Hotel Real Estate Italy Looking to buy Hotel real estate in Italy? This upmarket boutique hotel in Piedmont could be ideal. Fully restored, the property has 17 guest bedrooms, restaurant, swimming pool, an Orangerie…