Castle real estate, a restored 13th-century medieval castle for sale in the Italian Alps. Superb prestige home or possible for commercial use such as a boutique hotel (15 bedrooms).
Restored Italian Medieval Castle for Sale
The owners of this magnificent castle have over the last 20 years skillfully and restored the property retaining and enhancing whilst ensuring that the original medieval charm can be seen in all its glory. You can step back in time and imagine all the past history that the castle has been part of.
Since 1368 the property has been owned by just one family, the noble Spaur family who have lived, loved and lavished care on this fantastic family home.
There are huge frescoed halls, 15 bedrooms and beautiful original finishes that make the castle a perfect investment opportunity if you are looking for a prestigious property that could be easily repurposed into a luxury boutique hotel and a spectacular location for events, conferences and ceremonies.
The nearby town of Tassullo is just 1 km away from the castle and can be easily reached on foot you can easily find all the necessary services in the town. Other towns and cities such as Cles, Trento, Levico Terme, Meran, Moena, Ortisei, Bruneck, Canazei, Cortina d’Ampezzoare are easily reachable.
The nearest airport is Verona (133km; 1h 35’) but the airports in Treviso, Bergamo, Venice, Milan and Trieste are equally accessible.
The castle is first mentioned in historical records dating to 1297, but its location guarding an old Roman road would suggest that a watchtower might have existed under the Empire. The construction of the original building would have been an epic work: the castle is made up mostly of granite, which is hard to find in the area and the rock was probably quarried in the Adamello area and brought to Castel Valer via the Tonale Pass (which also gave its name to a specific variety of granite, tonalite).
In the 13th century, the building was registered as being in the possession of the Counts of Appiano, and they kept it until at least 1250 when it was taken and conquered by Ulrich of Coredo on the orders of Mainard II of Tyrol who was trying to unify the region under a single banner.
In the 14th century (1368) the castle was bought by the Spaur family, allies of the Counts of Tyrol, and over seven hundred years later the family still own the property. The castle at that time was just a low-profile keep (what’s now known as Castello di sotto, Untervaler, meaning ‘lower castle’ or ‘lower Valer’). It was only in the 16th century that the Spaur family enlarged the building by adding a new wing on the high part of the hill (known as Castello di sopra or Obervaler, meaning ‘upper castle’ or ‘upper Valer’). A few more works were carried out in the 17th century.
The castle has a surface area of 5,500 sqm – 59,180 sqft with 15 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms and has been finely restored over the last twenty years. It is in excellent condition, with period furniture and high-quality original finishes. Where needed, roof tiles have been replaced with handmade pieces and all the systems have been replaced and/or updated. Some parts of the building, are of notable historic, artistic and cultural value.
The entrance to the castle is through a stone bridge crossing the moat. Moving inside the castle it resembles a medieval town, with narrow paved alleys winding through the buildings. Not far from the entrance gate there is a beautiful courtyard, built in 1540. Here you can admire several beautifully decorated windows, the work of Marcello Fogolino.
From the courtyard, descending a characteristic stone staircase, one can reach the underground cellar dating back to the 15th century. Here there were once several rooms including the armoury of the castle, a grain mill, looms and an olive mill. As a storage area, these rooms also were used for the storage of wine and oil.
At the centre of the castle, there is an imposing tower, which is over 130-ft tall, with an octagonal plan and unique in the Trentino region. The castle has developed around the tower, keeping its octagonal shape in outline but distributing itself along the slope of the mountain.
In the corner of the castle, against the outside walls, there is the beautiful Chapel of St. Valerio, dedicated to the saint who also gave his name to the castle. In 1473 Count Rodolfo Spaur commissioned the decoration of the chapel to the brothers Giovanni and Battista Baschenis. Having considerable funds available, the two painters were able to achieve an incredible result by exploiting rare materials for the time such as azurite and malachite, embellishing everything with gilding. The fact that the chapel has remained the property of the same family for centuries has allowed the paintings to be preserved practically intact, handing down one of the finest examples of painting in the Val di Non. Sadly, in the seventeenth century, many of the works of the Baschenis in Northern Italy were covered with lime and whitewashed by order of the pastoral vicars.
Entering the castle itself, the first and most impressive of the rooms is certainly the Salone degli Stemmi (Hall of the Crests), dating back to the fifteenth century. In this room are represented the coats of arms and coats of arms of all those families that over the generations were related to the Spaur by marriage.
Crossing the hall you can exit onto the 16th-century loggia which is characterized by 18 arches supported by white and red limestone columns. From the loggia, you have a breathtaking view over the Val di Non, with the Santa Giustina dam visible in the distance.
On the side of the loggia, a series of rooms overlook the courtyard below, entirely covered in wood and formerly used as a study by the Spaurs. Here you will find a beautiful set of original furnishings and a parchment that allows you to consult the entire family tree of the Spaur family from its origins.
Also on the first floor is the large Gothic kitchen, preserved practically intact in its medieval aspect. The large hood still marked by black smoke while in the corner of the kitchen the ancient drainage channel that carried away the water used in the processing of meat is still functional.
The last noteworthy portion is located on the second floor and consists of those rooms that take the name of Sale Madruzziane (Madruzzo Halls). Cardinal Cristoforo Madruzzo resided here during the rest periods of the Council of Trent. A sister of the cardinal then married Ulrich Spaur, binding the two families together. The splendid frescoes in the rooms were also commissioned in this case to Marcello Fogolino from Vicenza.
The remaining halls of the castle, all restored and preserved to retain their original look wherever possible, include several reception halls, frescoed hallways, fifteen bedrooms and fourteen bathrooms. On the ground floor, there is also a relaxation area with a small wellness centre equipped with a sauna and showers. A small wing of the castle (still on the ground floor) is in all respects an independent unit and could be easily used as a staff apartment (100 sqm) made up of living room, kitchen, two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Outside the walls, there are two huge rural outbuildings (880 sqm – 9,465 sqft) which were used in the past as barns and agricultural facilities. A garage is located inside one of the buildings.
The castle gardens – 1,610 sqm are located towards the southern side of the castle and are laid over three terraces. From here you can enjoy a beautiful view of the imposing Castle Thun. The gardens are planted with beautiful flowers and the walls of the castle are covered in Virginia creepers that during summer “paint” the castle red, making it visible and recognizable from afar.
This beautiful castle property is completed by 9.4 hectares (23.2 acres) of land, covered for the most part in woodland (5.3 ha) and located below the hill, to the south of the castle.
- TYPE: Medieval castle real estate
- CONDITIONS: Restored
- LOCATION: hilly, panoramic view
- MUNICIPALITY: Trento
- PROVINCE: Trento
- REGION: Trentino-Alto Adige
- INTERIORS: 6,380 square metres (68,645 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 80
- BEDROOMS: 15
- BATHROOMS: 14
- MAIN FEATURES: granite walls, wooden floors, wooden beams, original terracotta floors, original stone and gravel floors, loggias with columns, internal courtyards, historic kitchens, vaulted ceilings, manorial chapel, historic cellars, paintings by Marcello Fogolino
- LAND: 9.4 hectares (23.2 acres)
- GARDEN: 1,610 square metres (0.4 acres)
- ANNEXES: Rural buildings outside the walls
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No but a small wellness centre
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Gasoil + pellet
- HEATING SYSTEM: Already connected
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Tassullo (1km; 5’), Cles (4km; 10’), Trento (38km; 40’), Madonna di Campiglio (43km; 55’), Levico Terme (57km; 55’), Bolzano (66km; 1h), Merano (91km; 1h 10’), Moena (93km; 1h 30’), Ortisei (100km; 1h 30’), Novacella (108km; 1h 30’), Canazei (109km; 1h 50’), Verona (136km; 1h 45’), Bruneck (140km; 2h), Cortina d’Ampezzo (196km; 3h)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Verona Catullo (133km; 1h 35’), Treviso Canova (171km; 2h 30’), Bergamo Caravaggio (217km; 2h 30’), Venezia Polo (255km; 2h 40’), Milano Linate (249km; 2h 50’), Milano Malpensa (301km; 3h 20’), Trieste Ronchi dei Legionari (363km; 3h 50’)
See more Castles for sale in Italy
Other properties that may be of interest you
- Castle of Italy Beautifully restored castle of Italy for sale. Located near to Saluzzo and Cuneo in Piedmont the castle has 5 bedrooms, garden and swimming pool. A lovely prestige private home which…
- Island Castle Island castle for sale on the largest island of Lake Iseo, Monte Isola in Lombardy. Romantic and imposing the property is in good structural condition but needs updating and modernising.…
- Arezzo Castle Near to Cortona in Tuscany Italy is this medieval tower which has been restored and transformed into a spacious cosy castle style home with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, large plot…