Beautifully restored castle of Italy for sale. Located near to Saluzzo and Cuneo in Piedmont the castle has 5 bedrooms, garden and swimming pool. A lovely prestige private home which could also be used for commercial activity.
Italian Castle for sale
Located on top of a hill near to Saluzzo and Cuneo in Piedmont, in a beautifully panoramic position with far and wide-ranging views, is this finely restored 14th-century castle of Italy for sale. The property has been expanded and reworked over the centuries and in the 19th century, it was brought back to its original splendour by architect Alfredo de Andrade. Laid over three floors, this 1,200-sqm property includes a total of 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and beautiful frescoed halls.
Services are all available in the nearby medieval town of Saluzzo (7km; 10’) and towns and cities of Piedmont such as Pinerolo, Carmagnola, Cuneo, Bra, Barolo, Torino, Ivrea, Acqui Terme, Alessandria can be quickly reached.
The closest airport is Cuneo (27km; 30’) but the airports in Turin, Genoa and Milan are also convenient.
The property (1,200 sqm – 12,912 sqft) is laid over two floors plus loft rooms, both boasting excellent finishes and decorations.
On the ground floor, is the vaulted entrance hall with medieval decorations and a large window overlooking the valley, a large guest hall, a master bedroom with fireplace and coffered ceilings, a kitchen, an original 14th-century well, a bathroom, and a second sitting hall with a private studio.
A monumental stone staircase leads to the upper floors where one can find a gallery (showcasing a beautiful collection of antiques dating back to the Risorgimento) and the sleeping areas with four bedrooms and bathrooms.
Particularly beautiful is the panoramic view that you can enjoy from the terrace of the castle and the towers.
The first documented mention of the castle can be traced back to 1329 in a document listing a fortress in the area easily identified by its central-plan structure. After several vicissitudes, the castle ended up in the hands of the Savoy family in the 16th century and entered a period of slow but inexorable decline. Only at the end of the 19th century was the castle brought back to life: Portuguese architect Alfredo de Andrade started a huge process to restore several castles all over Piedmont (including this one and the Castle of Pavone Canavese): he rebuilt the missing portions and added a few touches that are typical of the late-19th-century medieval revival.
The castle is nowadays a beautiful private residence, enriched by frescoes and luxury finishes: internal walls are a triumph of colours, where original frescoes are mixed with newer ones faithfully reproduced under the supervision of De Andrade. Ceilings, featuring ribbed vaults on the ground floor, are decorated with beautifully painted coffers on the upper floor. Doors and windows are framed with stone decorations and doors have been manufactured following the original medieval look. The Ghibelline crenellations were added by De Andrade during the restoration to faithfully replicate the ones found in the original castle.
The castle features a terraced garden (roughly 600 sqm) fully enclosed by the medieval walls of the complex. Here one can also find the pool which was obtained by converting an old fountain.
All around, the property boasts a total of 12,000 sqm of land.
The castle of Italy, thanks to its beautiful location and finishes, is ideal both as a location for events such as weddings, work meetings and conventions which could also be held in the outdoor garden and as a small luxury boutique hotel.
- TYPE: 14th-century Castle of Italy
- CONDITION: Restored
- LOCATION: Hilly, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Cuneo
- PROVINCE: Cuneo
- REGION: Piedmont
- INTERIORS: 1,200 square metres (12,912 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 20
- BEDROOMS: 5
- BATHROOMS: 5
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, Ghibelline crenellations, drawbridge, vaulted ceilings, stone and terracotta floors, frescoed walls, coffered wooden ceilings, stone fireplaces, panoramic terrace, garden, wooden doors
- LAND: 1.2 hectares (3.0 acres)
- GARDEN: 600 square metres (0.1 acres)
- ANNEXES: No
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: Yes, inside an old fountain
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: radiators + air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Saluzzo (7km; 10’), Pinerolo (37km; 40’), Carmagnola (39km; 40’), Cuneo (39km; 45’), Bra (39km; 40’), Barolo (54km; 1h), Turin (69km; 1h 10’), Asti (83km; 1h 20’), Ivrea (124km; 1h 40’), Acqui Terme (110km; 1h 50’), Alessandria (124km; 1h 40’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Cuneo Levaldigi (27km; 30’), Torino Pertini (87km; 1h 10’), Genova Colombo (160km; 2h 10’), Milano Malpensa (208km; 2h 20’), Milano Linate (222km; 2h 35’)
See more Italian castles for sale