Looking to buy a castle in Italy? This one in Piedmont is not only restored it is also a boutique hotel with 10 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms, restaurant and ideal for events, weddings and small conferences.
Piedmont Italy Castle For Sale
On the border of Monferrato, in Piedmont, we find this splendid castle with a park. The finely restored building offers a total of 10 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms and is currently a boutique hotel with a conference centre and restaurant. The outdoor spaces, about 6,900 square meters covered largely by a well-kept park with trees, are the ideal setting for outdoor events and ceremonies. The building has been classified as a National Monument since 1908 due to its great historical and artistic value.
The small medieval town offers all the necessary services such as supermarkets, post office, banks, pharmacy … and other towns such as Alessandria, Asti, Alba, Turin, Genoa, Milan are easily reachable in just over an hour.
The closest airport is Genoa (82km; 1h) but Cuneo, Turin, Milan and Bergamo airports are just as convenient.
The castle (1,640 square metres, 9 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms) extends over four floors for welcoming guests and organizing events:
– Basement: waiting room, large dining room with professional kitchen, warehouse and central heating;
– Ground floor: large reception room, ancillary rooms for guests with toilets, offices and dressing room for employees with an attached bathroom.
– First floor: seven bedrooms with en-suite bathroom;
– Second floor: two master suites with private bathroom.
The various rooms inside the castle are currently used in the organization of events and conferences, with capacities ranging from 10 to 170 guests. The restaurant in the basement can accommodate around 25 people in a welcoming environment.
The guesthouse (510 square metres, 1 bedroom and 3 bathrooms) was created inside the old stables and is now structured on three floors organized as follows:
– Basement: thermal power plant;
– Ground floor: entrance, large meeting room, bar and guest bathroom;
– First floor: office, equipment storage, bathrooms for employees and small apartment (living room with kitchenette, bedroom and bathroom).
Outside, the castle is surrounded by a wooded park of about 6,900 square meters with a paved square: both spaces are ideal for outdoor events or for relaxing in complete tranquillity.
The castle is mentioned in official documents dating back to 1367 when the town became the possession of Galeazzo Visconti: it is however pretty certain that there was already a fortress in place to defend the town. The Viscontis invested various families with the management of the town, the last of which remained in charge for over five centuries.
Between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the new owners undertook major renovation and consolidation works (especially on the east and south sides), creating the entrance that is visible today and the tower that overlooks it.
The property also holds the title of Royal Castle, as it was purchased in the nineteenth century by Queen Maria Cristina of Naples and Sicily, queen consort of Sardinia as the wife of Carlo Felice.
In 1908, by the decision of the Ministry of Education, the castle was declared a national monument.
The current owners carried out an initial renovation between 2005 and 2006, in order to adapt the building to its current function as a hotel and conference centre. This involved the total replacement of the electrical and plumbing systems (which are therefore in excellent condition).
The latest interventions, between 2018 and 2019, involved the rooms and most of the common areas, with a total repainting and replacement of the old furnishings.
- TYPE: Castle hotel with park
- CONDITION: Restored
- LOCATION: Historic centre
- MUNICIPALITY: Alessandria
- PROVINCE: Alessandria
- REGION: Piedmont
- INTERIORS: 2,150 square metres (23,134 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 25
- BEDROOMS: 10
- BATHROOMS: 14
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone walls, crenellated towers, ancient terracotta floors, frescoed and painted walls, coffered ceilings, Neoclassical frames, vaulted ceilings, wooden beams, boiserie, stone staircases, large windows, tree-dotted park
- LAND: 6,900 square metres (1.7 acres)
- GARDEN: Yes, well-maintained
- ANNEXES: Guesthouse
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No, but possible
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network (energy class G)
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Alessandria (13km; 15’), Asti (30km; 30’), Acqui Terme (31km; 30’), Casale Monferrato (43km; 35’), Alba (51km; 50’), Vercelli (66km; 45’), Turin (83km; 1h), Genoa (91km; 1h 20’), Savona (105km; 1h 20’), Milan (106km; 1h 20’), Ivrea (110km; 1h 5’), Pavone Canavese (118km; 1h 20’), Sanremo (196km; 2h 30’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Genova Colombo (82km; 1h), Cuneo Levaldigi (103km; 1h 30’), Torino Pertini (113km; 1h 15’), Milano Linate (115km; 1h 15’), Milano Malpensa (135km; 1h 20’), Bergamo Caravaggio (161km; 1h 40’)
See more Italy castles for sale