Castle and wine estate near the sea and Rimini in Emilia Romagna. The estate covers 134.5 hectares with vineyards, Olives and arable land. There are 4 farmhouses plus agricultural outbuildings.
An excellent commercial opportunity.
Italian Castle, Vineyards, Olives, Farm, Farmhouses.
In the countryside of Emilia-Romagna not far from the sea and in an open and sunny position are this superb castle and wine estate with 57.4 ha of vineyards and modern cellar. The property is currently operating for wine production (with a potential of up to 250,000 bottles per year) and the castle and its beautiful halls, is used for events and ceremonies. The four farmhouses in the property could be repurposed into tourist accommodation (one of the houses needs restoration).
Services are available in the nearby town (3km; 5’) and many other towns of Emilia-Romagna such as Rimini, Cesena, Cervia, Ravenna, Bologna, Ferrara, seaside and hinterland, can be easily reached in less than two hours by car. In under three hours you can reach Florence, Padova, Venice and Urbino.
The closest airport is in Rimini (29km; 30’) but the airports at Bologna, Ancona, Florence, Venice and Milan are just as convenient.
The castle has a surface area of 2,480 sqm – 26,685 sqft and was originally a simple fortified villa (dating back to at least the 12th century) which has then been expanded over the years. The property then came into the ownership of the Ravenna church and the villa was converted into a convent for the Camaldolese monks in the 16th century. With the Napoleonic invasion in 1797, the building was expropriated and sold to a local noble family. Together with the family, through marriages, the property ended up in the possessions of the current owners.
The castle is spread over four floors, which includes the old cellars (nowadays restored and fully accessible), many majestic halls used for events and meetings and a wine shop where wines produced in the estate are sold. In total, the many halls and the old cellars can accommodate up to 250 people.
The wine cellar (4,300 sqm – 46,268 sqft), with its modern look and lines, has been realized to have optimal space to process grapes and produce wine and features an analysis laboratory, an automated bottling line and systems to control temperature and humidity inside the cellar. Other rooms include the administrative offices, guest acceptance rooms and a tasting area.
Scattered throughout the estate there are four country houses (roughly 800 sqm – 8,608 sqft), one of which in need of restoration. One of the other farmhouses is currently rented out to the staff of the winery. The property is then completed by a few agricultural storage rooms (80 sqm – 861 sqft in total) located next to the farmhouses.
The estate covers a total surface area of approximately 134.5 hectares (332.3 acres), almost half of which covered in arable land (76.4 ha). The remaining surface area is split between a large vineyard (57.5 ha) and a 1,200-tree olive grove (2.4 ac). Part of the arable land could be used to plant further vines and increase wine production.
The two courtyards on each side of the castle, one of which features a beautiful centuries-old olive tree at its centre, are ideal for wedding and ceremonies. Outside, the castle can easily accommodate up to 500 guests.
Other than winemaking and olive oil production, the castle is currently used by the owners as a venue for events and ceremonies thanks to the large outdoor and indoor spaces available. The interiors could easily be reworked to create several bedrooms for the guests, creating an accommodation business which could be enhanced by guided tours in vineyards and cellar (Vini tourism) and from the vicinity to the sea and the renowned Adriatic Coast.
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
– Vineyard surface: 57.5 hectares
– Varieties: Sangiovese (84%), Albana (5%), Sauvignon (2%), Chardonnay (2%), Riesling (2%), Cabernet Sauvignon (2%), Merlot (2%), Bombino (1%), Petit Verdot (< 1%), Ancellotta (< 1%)
– Altitude: 200 m asl
– Exposure: East-West
– Years of planting: 1968 – 2006
– Training: pruned-spur cordon, Guyot
– Soil composition: clayish
– Yearly production: up to 250,000 bottles
– Romagna DOC Sangiovese: Sangiovese 90%, Merlot 10%
– Romagna DOC Sangiovese: Sangiovese 100%
– Romagna DOC Sangiovese Superiore: Sangiovese 85%, Merlot 10%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%
– Romagna DOC Sangiovese Superiore: Sangiovese 100%
– Romagna DOC Sangiovese Superiore Riserva: Sangiovese 85%, Merlot 5%, Cabernet Franc 5%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%
– Rubicone IGT Rosso: Merlot 75%, Petit Verdot 15%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%
– Rubicone IGT Chardonnay-Trebbiano: Chardonnay, Trebbiano
– Rubicone IGT Bianco: Riesling, Chardonnay
– Romagna Pagadebit DOC Secco: Bombino Bianco 100%
– Romagna Albana DOCG Secco: Albana 100%
– Romagna Albana DOCG Passito: Albana 100%
– Romagna Albana DOCG Dolce: Albana 100%
– Romagna Pagadebit DOC (Frizzante): Bombino Bianco 100%
– Rubicone IGT Rosato (Spumante): Sangiovese 100%
– Vino Spumante di Qualità (Brut): Trebbiano, Riesling, Chardonnay
DETAILS ON OIL PRODUCTION
– Surface: 2.4 hectares (1,200 trees)
– Cultivars: Frantoio, Correggiolo, Leccino, Moraiolo, Pendolino
– Years of planting: 1968 – 2005
– Yearly production: 30.0 hl
- TYPE: Castle and wine estate, vineyards, Olives, Farmhouses
- CONDITION: Restored
- LOCATION: Open and sunny
- MUNICIPALITY: Rimini
- PROVINCE: Rimini
- REGION: Emilia Romagna
- INTERIORS: 7,660 square metres (82,422 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 30+
- BEDROOMS: 10+
- BATHROOMS: 10+
- MAIN FEATURES: Stone and brick walls, courtyard for events, modern cellar, historic cellar, stone vaults, vineyards, olive grove, farmhouses
- LAND: 134.5 hectares (57.5 ha vineyards + 2.4 ha olive grove + 74.6 ha arable land)
- GARDEN: Yes, around the castle
- ANNEXES: Farmhouses, wine cellar
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: Already connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Municipal network
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Town with services (3km; 5’), Rimini (17km; 20’), Cesena (17km; 20’), Cesenatico (18km; 25’), San Marino (24km; 30’), Cervia (27km; 30’), Riccione (34km; 30’), Forlì (41km; 40’), Ravenna (51km; 50’), Pesaro (59km; 45’), Urbino (83km; 1h 10’), Bologna (102km; 1h 10’), Ferrara (145km; 1h 35’), Florence (212km; 2h 30’), Padua (214km; 2h 20’), Venice (250km; 2h 30’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Rimini Fellini (29km; 30’), Bologna Marconi (107km; 1h 5’), Ancora Raffaello Sanzio (111km; 1h 5’), Firenze Peretola (202km; 2h 5’), Verona Catullo (243; 2h 20’), Venezia Marco Polo (255km; 2h 30’), Milano Linate (312km; 3h), Milano Malpensa (366km; 3h 40’), Roma Ciampino (368km; 4h 10’), Roma Fiumicino (383km; 4h 15’)