Apartment in Tuscany in the historic city of Siena. Large, 380 square metres/4,089 square feet, 3 bedroomed restored property in a palazzo just 150 mts from Piazza del Campo, home of the world famous Palio.
Siena Tuscany Apartment
This exquisite 350-square-metre apartment is located in the centre of Siena, just 150 metres from Piazza del Campo, yet in a very peaceful and private neighbourhood.
The residence is located on the first level of a stately historic palazzo and consists of a large reception hall with kitchen and toilet, as well as three large bedrooms with private bathrooms.
A spectacular view of the Follonica Valley, just beyond the city walls, may be enjoyed from the windows.
All services, facilities and amenities are available in Siena’s historic city centre, where there are restaurants, banks, boutiques and stores for every need. Historic cities like as Monteriggioni, Montalcino, San Gimignano, and Florence are all within an hour’s or so’s drive.
The apartment has a surface area of 350 sqm – 3,766 sqft and is located on the first floor of the palace which formerly belonged belonged to the renowned Piccolomini family.
Crossing a small hallway, the apartment’s main entry opens onto a stunning and exquisite reception hall with high coffered ceilings and silk wallpapers in immaculate and original condition.
The secondary door, once utilised by the employees, leads immediately to a livable kitchen and a service restroom.
The sleeping space is comprised of three stylish, large bedrooms, each with an own bathroom.
Old terracotta and parquet flooring, vibrant wall murals, and antique, handcrafted wooden doors have been retained and meticulously preserved.
The windows on the northeastern side of the palazzo provide a breathtaking view of the Follonica Valley, a lush green area just outside the city walls that was formerly home to a large natural spring that supplied Siena with potable water.
The apartment has a private cellar (30 square metres) on the ground level, which is ideal as a storage space or workshop.
Additionally, a large two-car garage (single owner) is available for purchase within the next palazzo.
In its original glory, the palazzo dates back to the 16th century and follows the path of the road, both in planar arrangement and in conformity with the road’s undulations.
It is unclear when the Piccolomini family purchased the building; what is certain is that it was considerably smaller in the beginning.
Francesco di Bernardino Piccolomini purchased the garden next to the palace in 1516, and we have the original deed.
The palazzo was enlarged the next year, gradually incorporating the adjacent structures.
Giovan Battista Piccolomini, a well-known architect, was involved in the palazzo’s extension and ornamentation, but not as a designer himself.
Piccolomini purchased the large garden at the back in 1657 from one Alfonso Bandini.
The original 16th-century appearance has been preserved, with the sole modification throughout the years being the closure of five arches on one side of the courtyard to conceal the garden from the alley on one side of the palazzo.
The palazzo was structurally lifted in 1737 to transform the mezzanine into a full-fledged floor, which was eventually furnished and embellished in the same way as the rooms below.
There is also “a sequence of costs made by Mr. Muzio Piccolomini for the refurbishment and decoration of the top level” with the same date.
Other improvements from 1797 include a new iron entrance door, travertine pillars to buttress the garden’s support wall, and the refurbishment of the muraglia castellana.
The façade facing the garden was repaired in the nineteenth century, as seen by the round arches above the windows: cracking plaster reveals the original ogival arches beneath.
- TYPE: Apartment in Tuscany in a historic palazzo, close to the home of the Palio
- CONDITION: Restored
- LOCATION: Historic city centre, panoramic
- MUNICIPALITY: Siena
- PROVINCE: Siena
- REGION: Tuscany
- INTERIORS: 380 square metres (4,089 square feet)
- TOTAL ROOMS: 5
- BEDROOMS: 3
- BATHROOMS: 4
- MAIN FEATURES: Historic palazzo, ancient terracotta and parquet flooring, decorated wooden beams, silk wallpaper, marble fireplaces, mouldings and friezes, coffered and vaulted ceilings, frescoes and original doors, view over the Follonica valley
- LAND: No
- GARDEN: No
- ANNEXES: No
- ACCESS: Excellent
- SWIMMING POOL: No
- ELECTRICITY: Already connected
- WATER SUPPLY: Mains water
- TELEPHONE: To be connected
- ADSL: Yes
- GAS: Natural gas
- HEATING SYSTEM: Radiators + air conditioning
- CLOSEST CITIES AND TOWNS Closest services (50m; 1’), Monteriggioni (18km; 25’), Montalcino (42km; 50’), San Gimignano (43km; 50’), Roccastrada (55km; 50’), Volterra (55km; 1h), Montepulciano (62km; 55’), Pienza (69km; 1h 5’), Cortona (72km; 1h), Grosseto (75km; 1h), Florence (77km; 1h 15’)
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS Firenze Vespucci (86km; 1h 5’), Perugia San Francesco (116km; 1h 25’), Pisa Galilei (120km; 1h 35’), Bologna Marconi (168km; 2h), Roma Ciampino (245km; 2h 50’), Roma Fiumicino (260km; 2h 45’)
See more Tuscany Apartments for sale